Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rockawayjake

drysuits

18 posts in this topic

I just picked up a Kokatat Swift Entry Drysuit. After a wrestling match I finally got into the suit. Now I have read the literature concerning the gaskets and the care needed for the zipper. I cant imagine attempting to get in and out of this suit from inside my jeep. I'm also concerned about the zipper when used on a beach. I'm considering returning it for a Black Rock Jacket and Pants. Any ideas on the subject?

I'm 5'8", 165 lbs- I purchased a large size drysuit.

I have no info on the pants but I do on the jacket. I purchased a Black Rock from KFS.Com this year and couldn't be happier. I know it's designed to be a Yak jacket, but after years of surf fishing in Montaulk in surf that crashes over your head, I have finally found a jacket that keeps you dry! It's easy to get into / out of, estremmly comfortable and suprisingly warm and wind resistant. It has large velcro and neoprene tabs on the closures of the neck, waist and arms that are easily managed even with gloves on. I've since gotten rid of the rest of my weather gear and use it exclusivley with either neoprene (cold weather) or breatheable (warm weather) waders. Just my .02

I agree drysuits are almost impossible to get in to. The Black Rocks and similar tops are terrific and they make excellent surf jackets. If they had a hood nobody would buy anything else. Unfortunately NRS is out of Black Rocks in both L and XL until Spring.

Rather than the Black Rock pants I reccomend that you use waders. Neoprene or breathables. Also look into waist high waders and a top like the Black Rock plus. It has a skirt and then the over seal like the Black Rock. This way you'd end up with a double seal and its going to be much easier when nature calls besides being an even better seal. If you already own waders than a regular one is the way to go.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

For yakfishing, I would definitely go with JonS's recommendations. For yaksurfing, however, a drysuit is just the ticket; I have a Kokatat myself and have never had a problem with it.

Did you get booties put on the suit???I find it quicker and easier to get into my dry suit then my wader drytop combo.The neck and wrist seals need to be very snug but not so tight that your circulation is cutoff.With a little practice on technique you will be able to get in and out of it in no time.

Doug M

Thanks Doug- you get my drift regarding surf entry/exit. I get washed off the SOT about 40 percent of the time on re-enrty from the surf to the beach. You cant see the waves coming from behind your kayak. Leaving the beach is easier because you can see the approaching waves and anticipate your move.

I have been practicing with the drysuit, and strecting the gaskets. I may keep it, although the old lady is having a good laugh watching me get dressed.

if you go w/ a drysuit, do NOT get one without built-in latex booties. or if you have one, get it retrofitted with 'em; it'll make suiting up a breeze, comparatively. Also, a relief zipper is nice; wish I'd gotten one o' them.

Earlier this fall, I capsized in my Necky Dolphin not far off shore in some pretty serious chop. The water was cool but not cold. I had my usual cold water "ensemble" on: capilene, 3oz farmer john wetsuit , kokotak fleece sweater, Black Rock jacket/pants (cinched down tight) plus Cota neoprene boots protecting my always quick to cool feet. Not without a struggle, I remounted. My biggest problem was the added weight of all the water I had quickly taken on inside the black rock suit (and boots). All that chilly water made me realize that, my servicable rationalizations aside, the black rock jacket/pant combo is not, repeat not, a drysuit. Come spring when the water is lethal cold, I'm getting a real drysuit; awkward entry/exit be damned.

Salt how was the setup on as to the fit. I've been in the water a bunch with my setup and I don't get wet.

I agree that the best protection is a drysuit.

I'm wearing White River breathable stockingfoots, NRS Workboots, and a Black Rock jacket.

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

I had the pants hitched up and sealed tight, the top overlapped and cinched tight as well. Neck seal was tight as were wrists. Still got some water into the top. The pants were down over the boots making for a tight fit at the ankle. Given the added circumference of the boots, the pant's velcro ankle closers were at their max stretch so not very secure. Most of the water came in through the ankles and then the boots filled up fast, making it a heavy lift to get back aboard. Also, the water logged boots made it difficult to kick, adding to the remount difficulties. Chest high waterproof waders would definately have reduced/eliminated the foot water . Even so, on that cold spring day, I'm going to be in a true dry suit. i'll use the black rock for surf casting where it performs very well.

Does anyone know where I can get a dry suit retrofitted with a relief zipper and/or booties and have it done well so I don't have problems with it? Or maybe instructions so I can attach the booties myself?