Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cmdr McBragg

fluke regulation

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

It's complicated at this point.

The DEC wants to keep the regulations no more restrictive than they were last year, and ease the size limit if they can. However, estimates indicate that NY overfished its allocation last year, and needs to cut back this year. However, most of the coast--everyone except New York and New Jersey--underfished last year. Right now, if New York and New Jersey reduced harvest in order to stay within their allocation, and the other states maintained 2012 regulations, there would be 457,000 "extra" fish that, in theory, wouldn't be caught.

In February, ASMFC adopted a "fast-track addendum" that permits states to share their 'extra" fluke with other ASMFC states. So the question now is whether such states will relax their regulations enough to use up all of the "extras", relax their regulations enough to use up some of the "extras" and share some, or not tighten their regulations at all. From what I heard, there was some informal, non-binding agreement around the table that the states would drop their size limits by 1/2" to use up some of the "extras", and share the rest.

If New York can find 75,000 fish that no other state wants, and so adds them to its 2013 allocation, the regulations will be the same as next year. The chances of that happening are probably fairly good. If New York can find 163,000 "extra" fish, then it could drop its size limit 1/2", too. However, if it can't find any "extra" fluke, then we'd probably see the same size and bag limits, but a season shortened to something like May 18-September 8, although it's also possible that the size limit would go up to 20", the bag limit stay at 4, and the season lengthened to something beyond the current May 1-September 30 (the problem with increasing the size instead of shortening the season is that a 20" minimum would result in about a 30% reduction in harvest, more than twice what is needed. I don't believe that the DEC will go that way if it needs to tighten the rules, but I can't be certain.)

So there are two questions that we need to know the answer to, before we can get an idea of what the regulations will be. The first is how many "extra" fluke the other states will make available' the second is how many of those fish will go to New Jersey rather than New York (and the related question of how they will be divided; will New Jersey take 2/3 of them and leave New York 1/3, to parallel NJ's current dominance of the coastwide recreational fluke allocation, will they be divided 50-50, or will some other method be used)?

We should know in a couple of weeks.

It's complicated at this point.

The DEC wants to keep the regulations no more restrictive than they were last year, and ease the size limit if they can. However, estimates indicate that NY overfished its allocation last year, and needs to cut back this year. However, most of the coast--everyone except New York and New Jersey--underfished last year. Right now, if New York and New Jersey reduced harvest in order to stay within their allocation, and the other states maintained 2012 regulations, there would be 457,000 "extra" fish that, in theory, wouldn't be caught.

In February, ASMFC adopted a "fast-track addendum" that permits states to share their 'extra" fluke with other ASMFC states. So the question now is whether such states will relax their regulations enough to use up all of the "extras", relax their regulations enough to use up some of the "extras" and share some, or not tighten their regulations at all. From what I heard, there was some informal, non-binding agreement around the table that the states would drop their size limits by 1/2" to use up some of the "extras", and share the rest.

If New York can find 75,000 fish that no other state wants, and so adds them to its 2013 allocation, the regulations will be the same as next year. The chances of that happening are probably fairly good. If New York can find 163,000 "extra" fish, then it could drop its size limit 1/2", too. However, if it can't find any "extra" fluke, then we'd probably see the same size and bag limits, but a season shortened to something like May 18-September 8, although it's also possible that the size limit would go up to 20", the bag limit stay at 4, and the season lengthened to something beyond the current May 1-September 30 (the problem with increasing the size instead of shortening the season is that a 20" minimum would result in about a 30% reduction in harvest, more than twice what is needed. I don't believe that the DEC will go that way if it needs to tighten the rules, but I can't be certain.)

So there are two questions that we need to know the answer to, before we can get an idea of what the regulations will be. The first is how many "extra" fluke the other states will make available' the second is how many of those fish will go to New Jersey rather than New York (and the related question of how they will be divided; will New Jersey take 2/3 of them and leave New York 1/3, to parallel NJ's current dominance of the coastwide recreational fluke allocation, will they be divided 50-50, or will some other method be used)?

We should know in a couple of weeks.

So the short answer is who the flock knows? LOL

I think the fluke regs are schewed for boats only!

What's wrong with an 18.5" limit, (or even a slot limit), but limit the daily number to 2. This will allow more keepers for some of us poor surffishermen.

I also I think it will increase party boat revenues due to more repeat clients going back to get their 4 fluke in 2 trips.

As far as the rest, who cares if they have to burn more on gas to get 4 fluke in 2 trips? If they can afford a boat, they can afford the gas.

Please forward my rationale above to the apropriate committe.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But, I know we will get the same nonsense 4 fish at 19" from mid May to Sept. based upon what the commercials want. With no real scientific data to backup their limits. They are based upon to help the ones who scream the loudest. :thumbd:

from a buddy I help fish - he is a commercial fluke rod/reel for fluke and he said 18.5 @ 5 fish recreational for ny/long island. commercial pin. is 100 lbs per day very short season start may 1 , I forgot the rec start end date.

from a buddy I help fish - he is a commercial fluke rod/reel for fluke and he said 18.5 @ 5 fish recreational for ny/long island. commercial pin. is 100 lbs per day very short season start may 1 , I forgot the rec start end date.

That was fast!

:th:

18.5 makse sense!

5 Fish does not make sense though; unless they feel there will be less fluke taken due to a potential lower number of rec's out there due to limited access after Sandy?

Hey fishinkid. 18.5 would be awesome ;).

I actually caught many that size last year. Fluke is my first "bucktail" fish I've caught. Ill never forget !

Definately! I would be very happy with an 18.5" limit, since I may be able to finally get a few keepers this year myself from the beach!

I had to throw quite a few of 18"-18.5" s back in the water, while I had to endure watching the "hidden plastic bag experts" hook them/keep them later on, and quite a few 14" -16" as well (Maybe they were operating under commercial gudelines, but me no see any taggin going on). :why:

Just curious from the many fluksters out there,

Have you caught more or less keeper size using Gulp, than real worms? How about real squid strips?

I do not see too many fishermen use squid any more. Why is that? I used squid when the limit were lower and did ok; it was easier and less messy to handle, plus it lasted longer when the bait fish were munching on it at the bottom, which was another reason the fluke were attracted to the squid sorrounded by many baitfish?

I am thinkin of going back to my old roots, and become the SQUID thrower this year (instead of scented artificial).

Lol the plastic bag experts. I've seen that with striped bass too :/ meaning they were that small.

I remember When the limit size was like 14 inches. We'd limit out in a couple hours. From a dock!

My biggest on shore last year was 20.5 but unfortunately I caught that bad boy in the middle of September and had to throw it back.

Man I love fluke sashimi. I've actually caught fluke in a crab trap once.

Is that why they like squid?

I did really well with Gulps on the east end, north shore last year from the rocks.

Boat fishing I did better with sand eels/Peruvians.

Had best success fishing whole squid on a tandem rig and also herring on a tandem rig.

If fishing the whole squid on the tandem rig in deep water pull the wings off the squid or it will twist up while heading down to the bottom.

Anyone know if The Hampton Lady in Shinnecock is coming back? It's been MIA since Sandy. I really like fishing that boat.

Man I love fluke sashimi. I've actually caught fluke in a crab trap once.

Fluke sashimi i's the greatest.

I actually caught a squid on a chartreuse bucktail tipped with a Gulp white sand eel last year. It was delicious.

I lifted the bucktail out of the water to recast it and noticed the gulp was "pissing" on further inspection it was a small squid.

In the late afternoon from a NS inlet.