Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hwsmike

Frying oil score

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Wow, that's a good price. I've never used cottonseed for frying, but it looks like it has a high smoke point of 420, which is good. I may have to pick some up!

Cheap for a reason. It's high in saturated fat, low in monounsaturated and contains some natural toxins. It may also have high pesticide residues. Corn oil and soyabean oil both have higher smoke points. I read some place that cottonseed oil is the only cooking not under food regulations. I think Charles Chips used it exclusively for frying potato chips so can't be all bad but I'd use it in moderation.

The vast majority of non-organic cottonseed oil is extracted from genetically modified seed (as is non-organic corn, canola and soybean oil).

Just in case you are concerned about that aspect......... 

Cheap for a reason. It's high in saturated fat, low in monounsaturated and contains some natural toxins. It may also have high pesticide residues. Corn oil and soyabean oil both have higher smoke points. I read some place that cottonseed oil is the only cooking not under food regulations. I think Charles Chips used it exclusively for frying potato chips so can't be all bad but I'd use it in moderation.

Interesting. I'll have to read up on that. Maybe why Ive grown an extra arm . :D

The vast majority of non-organic cottonseed oil is extracted from genetically modified seed (as is non-organic corn, canola and soybean oil).

Just in case you are concerned about that aspect......... 

Thanks for the info!

Im going to check the box for any info, and get back.

I used it today for a turkey. But probably wont strain it and reuse it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hwsmike View Post

Thanks for the info!

Im going to check the box for any info, and get back.

Hey hwsmike .........Just to let you know....You will NOT find ANY information on the labels regarding Genetically Modified Seed usage... 

THE USDA HAS MADE IT UNLAWFUL TO LABEL A FOOD PRODUCT AS "NON-GMO or GMO-FREE".

FYI - 30 countries have outlawed GMO foods.

In Europe any GMO food MUST BE LABELED AS SUCH BY LAW..............

Strange how some laws here make no sense at all.......................... I guess it comes down to who has the most money to make the laws........

If this concerns you........BUY ORGANIC (by definition, certified organic can not contain any GMO)  AND SOURCE YOUR FOOD!   

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattituckMike View Post

Hey hwsmike .........Just to let you know....You will NOT find ANY information on the labels regarding Genetically Modified Seed usage... 

THE USDA HAS MADE IT UNLAWFUL TO LABEL A FOOD PRODUCT AS "NON-GMO or GMO-FREE".

FYI - 30 countries have outlawed GMO foods.

In Europe any GMO food MUST BE LABELED AS SUCH BY LAW..............

Strange how some laws here make no sense at all.......................... I guess it comes down to who has the most money to make the laws........

If this concerns you........BUY ORGANIC (by definition, certified organic can not contain any GMO)  AND SOURCE YOUR FOOD!   

I remember buying a tomato when some foods were labeled as GM and I remember that law being debated...After 3 weeks I became curious and left it. I think it lasted 2 months on my counter. It wasn't rotted, it just creeped me out. I think it had genes from fish in it.

At $3 a gallon I would see if you can burn it in your furnace.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodpecker View Post

I remember buying a tomato when some foods were labeled as GM and I remember that law being debated...After 3 weeks I became curious and left it. I think it lasted 2 months on my counter. It wasn't rotted, it just creeped me out. I think it had genes from fish in it.

Woodpecker....you have a good memory.....Tomatoes were the first food that was genetically modified that became available in the food stream.  It was called Flavr Savr tomato (1994).  It was modified to have a longer shelf life after being picked....weeks longer (as you remember). It only lasted a few years and was discontinued (I wonder why?).....

Another experimental GMO tomato was also produced using genes from the winter flounder, but that one never got released to the food supply.  The flounder gene was supposed to give the tomato plant frost resistance, but not change the flavor of the tomato headscratch.gif. It was also supposed to give picked tomatoes the ability to be cold stored.  This was abandoned - or so they say.........

So.....if you have a fish allergy - watch out for those tomatoes................

why is this bad for you?

One theory that comes from "Christina" who is on PBS Create (just saw this topic the other night)......she says that when things are genetically modified, the DNA is changed to something that has never before existed on Earth. As such, the millions of years of evolution of our bodies comes into play, and our systems don't know how to handle these new molecules that they have never seen before through the millions of years of our evolution, and that can cause bad things to happen.

How much I buy into that, I don't know......I mean, for centuries man has been cross breeding plants and animals to find traits that are for whatever reason favorable and that has lead to the myriad of varieties and hybrids of the vegetables we have now. In a way, all of those have been "genetically modified" as well.

But on the other hand, as opposed to farmers cross breeding varieties to make a new ones, which can take many, many generations of plants/animals and their offspring, the new genetically modified vegetables and animals are done in the laboratory and rather quickly on the microscopic level.

So, it IS an interesting subject/debate.

(BTW....Cristina is a vegan and at times kinda weird, but she is entertaining and interesting to watch, so take what she says for what it is worth.....they even have a disclaimer at the beginning of her program.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reed422 View Post

why is this bad for you?

That is a huge can of worms you are opening..........This is a hotly debated topic....... Genetic Engineering is the technology to break down fundamental genetic barriers and combines genetic materials from different SPECIES (plant ,animal, virus, bacteria) and inserting the genes into non related species.  Traditional selection, which has been the custom for thousands of years, does not bring in genes from a different, unrelated species.  I will list below some of the arguments AGAINST  genetically modified organisms:

1) Possibility of Toxins and Poisons produced by the process which are harmful or deadly to humans -  Eg: GMO L-tryptophan killed 37 Americans and disabled 5000 more before being recalled. 

2) Increased cancer risks - Eg:  GMO Recombinant Bovine Growth Hormone (rBGH) - Canada and EU have banned this product, but it is still allowed to be given to American dairy herds.

3) Food Allergies - Eg: A gene from brazil nuts was spliced into soybeans which could induce fatal allergic responses with people that have nut allergies when they consume the soy products.

4) Reduced Food Quality and Nutrition - Eg: Milk from cows injected with rBGH contains higher levels of Puss, Bacteria and Fat.

5) Antibiotic Resistance Eg: Antibiotic resistant marker genes (ARM) used in the process could recombine with bacteria in your gut creating antibiotic resistance. EU is considering a total ban of these.

6) Increased Pesticide Residues  Eg:  Herbicide resistant strains of corn, soy, cotton etc... allow the farmer to overuse the herbicides to kill every other plant on the field except the GMO crop.

7) Genetic Pollution = Environmental Havoc  GMO crops are alive - they can reproduce, migrate and mutate.  Once the pollen(genes) is released it is impossible to recall - They can cross with non-gmo plants and the GMO gene will be in the non-gmo population. 

8) Damage to Beneficial Insects and Soil Fertility  Eg:  Cornell has showed that GMO corn is poisonous to monarchs, ladybugs, lacewings, as well as soil microorganisms and bees.

9) Creation of Super Weeds - The few weeds that survive the herbicide doses are super, herbicide resistant weeds so stronger, more toxic chemicals are used for control.

10) Creation of Super Pests - Eg: Cotton Boll Worm is evolving into a super pest which is immune to less toxic biological pesticides.

11) Genetic "Bio-invasion" - Because of their "superior" genes some GMO plants are overpowering the wild speciesin the same way that introduced exotic species are doing.

12) Socioeconomic Hazards - Eg:  GMO seeds with the terminator gene only produces nonviable seed so producers are forced to purchase the seed from the source every year - no seed saving!

There is much more to this controversy, but we should at least have a CHOICE to consume these products via labeling......but, BY LAW, labels can not inform us about GMO status..........

She is full of herself.

:laugh: Could be................some of the stuff she says makes sense, other stuff I just gotta :squid:.....but that is true of most TV cooks/chefs

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve in Mass View Post

cwm27.gif Could be................some of the stuff she says makes sense, other stuff I just gotta cwm13.gif.....but that is true of most TV cooks/chefs

I will say she is kind of hot in that weird vegan chick kind of way.