Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CJones71

Quantico Area

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

I will be soon stationed at Quantico in May, and am an avid angler that's been deprived the past few years due to living in Okinawa, JP. Was hoping anyone would have any advice on how the fishing life is around the Quantico area. This is a new type of fishing for me as I'm used to the Atlantic coast of Florida. With that being said I look forward to traveling around the bay in search for stripers, a new species for me.

You're right on some great fishing.  The Potomac produces some good fish.  Recently, the MD state record channel catfish was pulled in right near the Woodrow Wilson bridge, if I remember it clocked in at 84lb, I knew the guy who held the record previously at 80LB.  You can catch big stripers in the Potomac as well many other species.  The Bay has great fishing.  I mainly use my saltwater setups when fishing from the waters edge.

There are many options both fresh and salt.

Quantico proper has several very productive lakes and streams not to mention being right on the Potomac.

Some of those gigantic catfish mentioned hang out right there.

From Quantico (Widewater) South to The Bay is very good salt/brackish...better from a boat.

The Bay proper is not that far and is excellent near Pt Lookout and only gets better the further you travel towards the mouth and then into the Ocean...which really isn't that far either.

Thanks for the replies

You're right on some great fishing.  The Potomac produces some good fish.  Recently, the MD state record channel catfish was pulled in right near the Woodrow Wilson bridge, if I remember it clocked in at 84lb, I knew the guy who held the record previously at 80LB.  You can catch big stripers in the Potomac as well many other species.  The Bay has great fishing.  I mainly use my saltwater setups when fishing from the waters edge.

Channel cats?! That's enormous! You sure not a blue?

I will be spending majority of my time in salt/brackish water and some freshwater to change things up. I'm lucky to be going to such a diversified fishing environment.

Welcome to the area.Google mdnr or vdnr will give you some insight.Areyou fishing by boat or land?:hooked::th:

Both. Though I am really interested in kayak fishing, I figure I may try that out and see what that's all about. Been hearing its a blast and something new for me to experience.

Hey Marine ... been there done that.

Check out my post for fishing in the Fredericksburg area (in this section some months ago) .... or better still, go over to EWS and contact my fishing buddy Brad Gates ... tell him Tony Mski aka KironaFly ...sent you and that you heard there was good fishing for Stripers in the Rappahannock River.

When the dogwoods bloom .... the Stripers loom!

Oh yeah .... use a fly rod ... and...

Catch a Big One!

Hey Marine ... been there done that.

Check out my post for fishing in the Fredericksburg area (in this section some months ago) .... or better still, go over to EWS and contact my fishing buddy Brad Gates ... tell him Tony Mski aka KironaFly ...sent you and that you heard there was good fishing for Stripers in the Rappahannock River.

When the dogwoods bloom .... the Stripers loom!

Oh yeah .... use a fly rod ... and...

Catch a Big One!

Will do, thanks Tony. Minus the fly!

What have you done at Quantico?

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJones71 View Post

Thanks for the replies

Channel cats?! That's enormous! You sure not a blue?

I will be spending majority of my time in salt/brackish water and some freshwater to change things up. I'm lucky to be going to such a diversified fishing environment.

Both. Though I am really interested in kayak fishing, I figure I may try that out and see what that's all about. Been hearing its a blast and something new for me to experience.

Ah, you're right it was a blue.  Still a monster!  It's really great area for fishing, I grew up on the Eastern Shore and migrated here almost a decade ago.  Any type of fishing you're into, you can probably find around here.  

Ah, you're right it was a blue.  Still a monster!  It's really great area for fishing, I grew up on the Eastern Shore and migrated here almost a decade ago.  Any type of fishing you're into, you can probably find around here.  

Snook and tarpon? Haha

Snook and tarpon? Haha

We are waiting for them to show up...Global warming, and all.

There is a little talked about Tarpon fishery on ESVA.

And, we did have a Puppy, Red Drum invasion last year, hope they stick around.

We are waiting for them to show up...Global warming, and all.

There is a little talked about Tarpon fishery on ESVA.

And, we did have a Puppy, Red Drum invasion last year, hope they stick around.

Since when did tarpon start rolling up that far?