Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gregmorin

Best Time to surf cast the Chatham Area

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

My wife and I have the opportunity to be in the Chatham Area this summer for a week. Would the surf casting be better in June, July or August?

Please advise

Greg

My experience is that June would be best. The fish more active then and the beaches less crowded. I also recall that you can park at Chatham Light for extended periods as it is "off season".

One HUGE caveat, the seals are overrunning the area. Last year, all my favorite spots were crowded out--not by other fishermen--but by seals.

My experience is that June would be best. The fish more active then and the beaches less crowded. I also recall that you can park at Chatham Light for extended periods as it is "off season".

One HUGE caveat, the seals are overrunning the area. Last year, all my favorite spots were crowded out--not by other fishermen--but by seals.

2nd

Hey Oldgoat,

I remember about 15 years ago when the fishing there was great. I then started fishing up in Maine. Last year, went back to Chatham and those seals really ticked me off.

How long have they been camping out there?

june in the darkest moon of the month...the longer crepuscular light is the fastest time hands down....it also advatnadges you over the seal slightly, which can be huge...

if you do not have 4x4 or wanna find fish faster, look carefully at the dropping tide right after high on any of the small esutaries on S side....if you check these areas in the dark by flashlight you may see dropback herring, and the bass hang off these small rivers until the solar rays are strong....small poppers are good locaters....very wise to avoid having nets in your possession...,

I cut my teeth catching schoolies to bigguns this way in the 60's....back then a 7/8 oz to 1 oz blue talkin atom was king....that ain't a bad start now.

Today when I take somebody new out I go back and forth with poppers and swimmers ...can't do alot better than SP with one forward treble these days...bone colored after sunrise, purple or black before

tight lines and fresh bait

luke

greg

if you want some update just before you head down, pm me..give me a few weeks notice to sniff around...

keep a low profile, and just you and another, and I don't mind sharin...Lord knows I have been blessed by others (and sent the wrong way plenty times as well...)

how did the deer herd do with the big snow year? lotta yardin up?

Thanks Luker! Will do.

Last report from Maine Fish & Wildlife was that the herd was rebounding well. We did not get the snow that we used to get, The most I had in the back yard was 1'6" this winter.

Greg