Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GregW

Bike racks

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

My son got me and my wife a Yakima 5 bike carrier that will fit into a 1&1/4 or 2" receiver. Kinda heavy but it will hold my canal bike with side baskets and my wife's bike when she wants to come along.

I am a big fan of thule, but when it comes to a hitch rack I would feel fine with Yakima. Bothr have offerings to fit your hitch size. Some of these models hinge away so that you can still use the trunk, hatch or tail gate.

I guess my only suggest is just look for a simple design, this does not have 2 have complicated bike attachment methods. Chances are you will even lock them on with your own bike lock. Rubber bungys generally rot out over time. So I went with a basic model that Ill use my own straps to secure the bikes.

Good luck

Just remember with the style pictured above you'll need a separate bar like below to hang the bike if you have a step thru. That's what I have but I think if I buy another rack it'll be one where the bike is mainly supported by it's wheels.

Just remember with the style pictured above you'll need a separate bar like below to hang the bike if you have a step thru. That's what I have but I think if I buy another rack it'll be one where the bike is mainly supported by it's wheels.

I have a rack similiar to that one but didnt have any problems with a step thru ? I will try and post a picture this weekend.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike J. View Post

I have a rack similiar to that one but didnt have any problems with a step thru ? I will try and post a picture this weekend.

I think it depends on the bike's frame configuration. Does yours go in at about a 45° angle?

Thule and Yakima are so competitive many of their parts are interchangeable. Kuat's are nice, if you need a light rack (to lift easier). Everything else is second rate both in terms of quality and testing practices.

My bike is not a step through, but when carpooling with my buddy who does have a step through we never had a problem. Probably depends on the bike.