Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MickeyFinn

Any opinions on the "Ambush"

5 posts in this topic

I've just started shopping for a 2 person yak. I don't expect to cover a whole lotta water, and a couple of potential boat mates are large folks, so the high capacity of the Ocean Ambush looks appealing. As does the wide beam. And the trolling motor mount don't hurt, either! Anyone have experience or opinions on this one?

I'd expect to use it for sweetwater lake, slow river (Schuylkill & Susquehanna), and some back bay fishing.

Thanks.

MF: I think I'm the only SOLer that has one and I love it! I'm 6'4", the paddling doesn't bother me but I'm sure you'll find more nimble yaks. I even tried to mount a 2 hp Honda engine on mine but I got way ahead of myself and I don't think it's suited for anything more than 100 lb thrust Minn Kota Riptide. I converted the center section for stowage with OK's conversion kit.

I have 7 and 10 year old boys. They both can stand in this thing and it's absolutely stable. I stay on the shore and watch them explore estuaries, they have a blast.

The 100 lbs of sheer weight catches up with you though, make sure you get a trolly!!

------------------

Dune%20Path.jpg

Mickey,

Welcome to the board. HappyWave.gif If you are gonna paddle with kids in a tandem yak, I think it gonna be fine. If you're gonna paddle with the spouse, forget it. Search the posts cause the subject came up a couple of times and there was a resounding scream to get two singles instead, and they would be more maneuverable. Just my $.02.

[This message has been edited by mrsinbad (edited 04-23-2002).]

Thanks, folks. Sounds like it might be the best compromise. I'll be doing some solo paddling, and some with fishing buddies (one at a time!). Maybe with the spouse (no kids in our household)... but not as regular thing. Thanks for the trolley suggestion, too-- I'll keep in mind the PVC frame I saw here on the board.

Oh, and an FYI-- I haven't posted in quite a while, but I've been lurking here for over a year! Most of the time I can only lust about getting down to the brine, but I'll be at Seaside this weekend-- yahoo!

MF: make no mistake, I'm in the brine all of the time. Holding 800 lbs, you'll can expand your imagination or just...have fun!!

My point is that you can throw everything at this craft and it will take it. The deep cycle battery compartment and the Riptide motor might be the ticket for you, pending the hassle of registering it.

Good Luck and welcome to the board...I hope that you will contribute!!!

------------------

Dune%20Path.jpg