Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lockbox

Shame on Mustad hooks

Rate this topic

87 posts in this topic

i just received an order of 300 hundred stainless steel mustad Hooks. I have been using the Sid was stainless hooks for many years. to my dismay the stainless hook i ordered and took possession of are different.these hooks are lighter in color and seem to be lighter in weight.When dropped they make a very different hollow type sound. I am very worried they will not hold up and will bend out .i purchased these hooks in 100 4/0 100 5/0 100 6/0

the box numbers are 6/0 100 QTY> reference -- 95170

5/0 100 QTY> reference -- 95170

4/0 100 Qty> reference -- 95170

these hooks are now made in CHINA -- the stainless Steel is not the same. shame on them for wrecking a great product .

I ran into this last summer when I purchased some #34007 Mustads, the new ones are made in China and have a very different appearance from the old ones made in Norway. I had some small fish bend the new ones. For anything I would use a #34007 for I now use a Daiichi 2456, more expensive but I haven't had any 20" inch bass bend them yet.

yikes, what are the hooks that come on Redfins? Those things get bent when I play around in the living room.

One note, I bought mustad streamer hooks, and they were so soft that they bent when putting them in the vice to tie to! blew my mind!

Why is this a Chinese issue? Mustad outsourced them and accepted an apparently lower quality product. I'm sure the hooks could have easily been made to any spec.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazha View Post

Has anyone been able to even access Mustad website, US portion ? Saltwater portion ? I keep getting permission denied

I tried a couple weeks ago trying to buy some hooks and was denied from everything confused.gif

Sounds like the Chinese are going to put Mustad out of business and take over the hook market for themselves. Its been happening with plenty of manufacturers who have decided to use China for production.

Sounds like the Chinese are going to put Mustad out of business and take over the hook market for themselves. Its been happening with plenty of manufacturers who have decided to use China for production.

i feel if you give a company the job of making your product . A product which was one of the best Stainless Hooks made. This is the hook that turns up at the blade end. At the end of the day the blame is yes on mustad but why is it just about everything made by the Chinese is not as good as products made in other places. it kind of scares me. I am now thinking of bringing them back tomorrow. they cost me a good amount of money. and it is starting to get tight for all of us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew C. View Post

Why is this a Chinese issue? Mustad outsourced them and accepted an apparently lower quality product. I'm sure the hooks could have easily been made to any spec.

Not to talk up the wonderful Peoples Republic of China but That is true. I know several people who travel to China to oversee their non fishing related manufacturing  operations. They report that the factories they buy from are state of the art, clean safe, bright, and efficient. They can machine stainless steel or any other material to the same tolerances as anyone else in the world. It is always a case of engineering, marketing, and cost that contributes to cheap c**p. Easy enough to make that here but if your going to go to the trouble to make stuff that is low quality, doing it with the cheapest labor makes a lot of sense. Really has nothing to do with China though. All the decisions to accept and attempt to sell substandard quality  are made here.

The really sad part is that even with the low labor costs of manufacturing overseas, many firms still spec lower quality to reduce cost further.

Not to talk up the wonderful Peoples Republic of China but That is true. I know several people who travel to China to oversee their non fishing related manufacturing  operations. They report that the factories they buy from are state of the art, clean safe, bright, and efficient. They can machine stainless steel or any other material to the same tolerances as anyone else in the world. It is always a case of engineering, marketing, and cost that contributes to cheap c**p. Easy enough to make that here but if your going to go to the trouble to make stuff that is low quality, doing it with the cheapest labor makes a lot of sense. Really has nothing to do with China though. All the decisions to accept and attempt to sell substandard quality  are made here.

The really sad part is that even with the low labor costs of manufacturing overseas, many firms still spec lower quality to reduce cost further.

they have those capabilities, but treat round eyes a little different than their own ilk. i have family in the import business and its always a nightmare hoping the product will pass customs without being tainted. they make Van Staals, Mac computers as well as junk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodpecker View Post

Anyone who has actually experienced Chinese manufacturing "techniques" will tell you different. It is laughable to believe their manufacturing process is anywhere near "state of the art".  Cr-p steel, cr-p tolerances, and heavy turnover in labor.  This isn't in fishing gear, but family members offered double their state-side salary in the far east.  I don't waste my time with chinese "stuff", for a reason.