Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Swfly

Paddles: Wood or Metal

3 posts in this topic

To our experianced yakers

While yak testing i noticed differences in paddles.

Dealer #1 offered what he said was a better grade of paddle (metal bout $80) and fairly lite weight. Not cupped.

Dealer #2 offered a wooden one (bout$100), looked like lite colored cherry wood. Seemed even much liter than the metal one.

Is one any better over the other?? Would the wood hold up or require alot of maintance??

Even though the wood was liter to the feel.....

Thanks

Walt

------------------

Swfly99@cs.com

Do not try to save your $$$ on a cheap paddle,it's what will get you home when the sea or winds get hairy.Even on a calm day the benifits of a good paddle can never be overrated.Think fiberglas or kevlar and get the best you can afford.The paddle is no place to go cheap.Scott

Walt,

Go check out Tim's paddle. It's a two-piece wood one with fiberglass reinforced blade edges. Just remember what you want to do with it, paddle for distance and time(crusing around the bay and ocean, not white-water, it makes a difference). My former roommate and fraternity brother is a big white water guy and I once borrowed one of his paddles and the blades are designed to grab lots of water for quick turns and fast acceleration and stopping, nto for paddling miles on end, like you would be in the bay.

I suggest going to either the Jersey Paddler or better yet, Ramseys in Mahwah. The kayak guy in Ramseys is where Tim's paddle originated (because it used to belong to me smile.gif) and I bought it on a recommendation by him. He's a big touring kayak guy and sold me the paddle because it enters and leaves the water cleanly while also grabbing a good chink of water, making the strokes smooth and efficient.

Last note, especially in the surf - wood floats, like when you let go of it by accident biggrin.gif Kevlar, graphite and any of the other composite float until they fill with water, then sink like stones - bad when you let go frown.gif

Just my 0.02.

rob