Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lauranyyfan

Lens question....

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hi Guys....

I have an older Sigma 70-300 1.4-5.6 DG that I used on my Rebel XT. Is anyone familiar with this lens.... if so, your thoughts???

Is it worth putting this on the T4i or would it diminish the overall quality of images taken with the combo?

Thanks...

I am not familiar with this particular lens, but the Canon 18-55mm kit lens is.... well, a kit lens. Kit lenses are designed to make a product usable out of the box, and nothing more. They ultimately are intended to encourage the purchase of more glass. So, if that is indeed your point of comparison then the Sigma lens should be quite adequate for your purposes. Plus since you are using an APS-c cropped sensor on the Rebel you will be shooting through a smaller portion of the lens and using the sweet spot at the center that offers the best optics in any lens system.

Just don't go comparing it to similar glass from the likes of Canon, Nikon, Zeis, Leica, et. al. ;) Shoot with it and see what you think. If you are happy with the results of your photography that's all that matters. :)

It's got one heck of a range and exceptional speed on the wide end. I'm sure you can get some great results with it. :th: