Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Littorally

Demersal trawls

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Ha, ha ,ha i don't care what type of trawl it is , they have no place in inshore fish nursery grounds which Carolina still allows. Funny that they don't reveal whats in the net at the end. This video wants you to believe nothing is killed accidentally.

I know they are offshore in this video but they allow this crap in inshore waters also, only in N.C

Anything outside of an inlet is offshore to me lol. I'm a surf nut, forgive me.:th::th: I have Tuna fished a handful of times and fished for big Sharks back in the day but i live in the surf zone year round, sharing a burrow with a ghost crab if you must know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnnashman View Post

Ha, ha ,ha i don't care what type of trawl it is , they have no place in inshore fish nursery grounds which Carolina still allows. Funny that they don't reveal whats in the net at the end. This video wants you to believe nothing is killed accidentally.

I know they are offshore in this video but they allow this crap in inshore waters also, only in N.C

This video was posted by Cornell Cooperative Extension (its of a fisheries independent survey). I believe they were testing the effectiveness of that 12" chain that is supposed to allow for benthic species to escape beneath the trawl.

We must be watching a different video, because from that clip above it was extremely effective at keeping out benthic species (re: crabs, flats, skates). Only thing that ended up in the net was some bass... in the video. If you read the literature the benthic bycatch was reduced by a huge amount. Sneaky edit ;)

Matt, 8-12 fm is 48-72'... Not offshore, but not right on the beach. I hear ya cnnash... When I think offshore, I think 300' + :D

Hey if States allow trawling then i would much rather have something that cuts down on bycatch than not have anything employed to reduce it. I know a lot of guys don't get to see how N.C deals with fisheries issues and i didn't have a clue when i first came down from NJ either but it's bad, real real bad.

When it comes to Trawling , gill netting etc.. i am definitely biased against it because i see what happens when nobody cares about it , it's do whatever you want down here, really terrible.

Would sea grasses b growing in the depths that vid was made if these things werent tearing

back and forth daily?  Lookig at this film, nuthin gets caught or harmed.