Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slarteebartfast

how damaged is this blank?

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Could anybody with more knowledge than myself give me an idea of how damaged this blank is? Does a small nick like this take a lot out of its structural integrity?

I accidentally took a small chunk out of the blank just below the reel seat while stupidly using an exacto knife to remove some very stubborn ratty old grip tape and the epoxied wraps beneath the reel seat.

I hope to put this rod together and fish it.

1000[/img]

That's not good but you might be ok if it's at the rear grip and if the blank is of a faster action. If it's a blank that bends into the handle it will at some point split . It's a shame , Don't use sharp blades to remove things from rod blanks at least with the blade in the direction of use.

run the dowel up to wear it fits snug underneath where you cut into the blank. to me that would be the best thing to do. hey look at it this now you have a reason to get a brand new blank. good luck man

Thanks for your answers folks. I'll try the dowel trick. And I have certainly learned my lesson about sharp blades and blanks. all it took was one little slip. The damaged section is below the reel seat, I don't believe that the rod flexes at this point.

This was the first surf rod I ever built, and i have used her exclusively for a number of seasons now, so you can imagine how endeared I am to her. But I love her enough to let her go down while on the job, fighting fish. Hopefully. Thanks again for the helpful feedback.

I had one where I went clear through the blank, not just a gouge. I fixed it with a piece of blank fitted insside and it still fishes just fine, never know it happened. It was on a bendy blank too, a Lami BT963M, you should be fine.

If this area is hidden under the grip, would it be beneficial to put a single wrap of fiberglass around it, say 6 inches or so in length, then cover that with the grip of choice?

I had one where I went clear through the blank, not just a gouge. I fixed it with a piece of blank fitted insside and it still fishes just fine, never know it happened. It was on a bendy blank too, a Lami BT963M, you should be fine.

The only problem is the material are different. Carbon is unidirectional and glass is woven. Woven wouldn't be as prone to continue cracking. The Carbon will if stress is put on it. Sleeving and wrapping with other materials might work.. who knows it's worth a try and being it's down below the seat it's even better. I would sleeve it with a 3" section of blank inside or outside. Outside would be easy but I think inside would be better. Then fill the crack with epoxy and wrap with a fiberglass scrim cloth and epoxy. What"s the worse that can happen?? It breaks!!