Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Aqualab

choice between rods

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I'm hoping to get some input as to which rod to go with. Primarily getting this for the raritan bay/navastink river and for light plinking with plugs & tins around jettys. The two model rods are St Croix tidemasters - 7'.

First rod is a TIS70MF 8-17lb line, 3/8 - 3/4oz lure

the other is a TIS70MHM 10-20lb line, 1/2 to 1oz lure

Up here where I live, forget about hands on before buying, nobody carries them. So, I would like to know if the MHM is too stiff for what I am looking to use it for. Plan on putting a Penn 712-Z with 20 lb braid on it.

Thanks 

Either would work , depends if you like a more moderate rod over a fast taper one , i used to throw a Tidemaster with the lighter stuff all the time , i prefer 10 and 14 pound braid because it just really shoots out whatever your throwing effortlessly, but 20 is a good choice as well.

I traded in my Tidemaster for a Avid inshore and the Avids are not nearly as stiff, both great rods. What weight range do you plan on throwing the most? 1/4 jigs and small tins ?

Hey cnnashman, Oh no, now you got me looking at the Avids too! I want a flexible rod with a responsive tip, not a rigid stick. What differentiates the avids from the tidemasters besides $$?  Rods appear to be rated very similar as far as line and lure ratings. Will be using small to medium sized tins and light plugs - bagley mullets, rapalas, etc...   

Hey cnnashman, Oh no, now you got me looking at the Avids too! I want a flexible rod with a responsive tip, not a rigid stick. What differentiates the avids from the tidemasters besides $$?  Rods appear to be rated very similar as far as line and lure ratings. Will be using small to medium sized tins and light plugs - bagley mullets, rapalas, etc...   

If your throwing that stuff the Avid is perfect imo , it has much better flex than the Tidemasters. I thought it would have similar characteristics to the Tidemasters but it was completely different , i have the eight foot medium heavy powered rod rated 3/4- 2 oz and it is great with what you have said you wanted to do.

It loads real easy but has great backbone , there are a few videos on Youtube of it in action. Comes with top shelf Alps VS 316 (S-6 ) frames and zirconia inserts , good quality cork for a rod in it's price range as well.

Lots of rods to choose from out there.

About a $50-$60 price difference between the avid and tidemaster. The graphite blank and line guides are certainly superior. Definitely leaning towards the Avid 7' AIS70MF now. What's your feeling about matching that rod up with the penn 712-Z - sized about right (balance/footprint and weight)? The old lady is gonna kill me. 

About a $50-$60 price difference between the avid and tidemaster. The graphite blank and line guides are certainly superior. Definitely leaning towards the Avid 7' AIS70MF now. What's your feeling about matching that rod up with the penn 712-Z - sized about right (balance/footprint and weight)? The old lady is gonna kill me. 

I don't see any issues with the 712 Z , it doesn't handle braids like the SSV spinfisher or a similar sized Shimano but it would work if you want to use it. I use a SSV 4500 on mine and it feels perfectly balanced , it weighs around 16 oz and my rod is the 8 footer, the 712 Z weighs in around 14 oz but your rod is a foot shorter so i think it would feel really nice as well.

Thanks cnnashman, appreciate your help.  I may pick up a used SSV 4500 at some point.  Intended to wait until Penn had worked out all the kinks and possible came out with an upgrade to replace the cast gear with a machined. Just speculation.

Your a smart consumer in waiting for the kinks to be worked out, the one i am using is actually a friends , the upgraded gearing option would be great and i know Penn's aware of how many people want that to happen.

Regarding your dilemma, you could always fish mono with that reel if it doesn't work well with what line you plan to use, and you can also try Fireline because Fireline works well with just about everything. Don't hesitate to pm me if you feel i could be of any additional help.