Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stryperStalker

dog surgery question

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Our 12 year old golden retriever has a problem with either one or both of his anal glands. I won't get into the details, but if you'd had a dog that's had the issue, you know what I'm talking about and how bad it stinks (literally and figuratively). The vet put him on all sorts of antibiotics, thinking it was an infection and that it would clear up. Well, after about 2 months of taking them, there was still no change.

The vet said that the only option is to have the gland removed. Has anyone had this surgery done for their dog? Did it work? I've read some stuff online from people saying that removing the gland(s) can cause other problems. The vet seems to be all for it, but that's probably because they're charging me between $1200 and $1400 to have it done. I just don't want to put our 12 year old dog through a day of surgery and spend over a grand, and then find out that it wasn't the thing to do. Would really appreciate any advice people have! And yes, the rest of you can make jokes at my poor old dog's expense. :D

Try feeding him canned pumpkin,or have him groomed, they do the glands when grooming. I can explain how to do it yourself if you want. I lived with a girl who schedualled most of her appointments for my days off so I have done it all jsut to get some.

They're several tutorials online that would help you. Surgery on a 12yr old animal is not recommended unless it's life or death (frankly, even then ?). The glands your referring to are not difficult to assuage...not fun, even nauseating, but not difficult.

Are we talking the butt shimmy on carpet or other symptoms of something more severe? By way of reference, we have rescued 7 dogs besides our own...big hearts means familiar with the shimmy....just saying.

Edit: Should have added, any sign of blood in the stool or otherwise irregular movement?

Yeah, sounds like the glands just need to be squeezed. Is stink the only problem?

I've had them expressed several times. The issue is that there is blood coming out, and the odor is really bad. This just started happening out of nowhere. We didn't change his diet or anything. The vet said he had 4 different types of bacterial infections, which is why they initially put him on multiple antibiotics. But that didn't get rid of the blood/bad odor.

Yeah, sounds like the glands just need to be squeezed. Is stink the only problem?

Poddles have that problem all the time? Vet ld squeze the gland

If you do it yourself wear glasses and keep your mouth closed sometimes they ooze sometimes they squirt :upck: it's like poping a zit. If you go to thwe groomer make sure you ask the groomer to express the anal glands it should be part of the bathing process.

They're several tutorials online that would help you. Surgery on a 12yr old animal is not recommended unless it's life or death (frankly, even then ?). The glands your referring to are not difficult to assuage...not fun, even nauseating, but not difficult.

Are we talking the butt shimmy on carpet or other symptoms of something more severe? By way of reference, we have rescued 7 dogs besides our own...big hearts means familiar with the shimmy....just saying.

Edit: Should have added, any sign of blood in the stool or otherwise irregular movement?

He doesn't seem to be affected by it at all. No shimmying on the carpet or trying to get at the area. I wipe his butt every time he takes a dump, and there is almost always a brown ooze, and sometimes blood. I know that putting a 12 year old dog under for surgery is going to really set him back, but he is a very spry 12 year old dog. We adopted him at 9, so we're not even sure if he's definitely 12. But it's still a lot to put any dog through. I just worry that a tumor or something like that is causing the gland to be acting up, and if we have the gland removed, it's not going to fix anything. But the vet seems pretty confident it will fix the problem.

I fixed my first post it is canned pumkin not pie filling.

Is this a dietary thing we should try every meal? Like a spoonfull each meal? I've read some people say that switching over to a raw diet will sometimes help, too.

He doesn't seem to be affected by it at all. No shimmying on the carpet or trying to get at the area. I wipe his butt every time he takes a dump, and there is almost always a brown ooze, and sometimes blood. I know that putting a 12 year old dog under for surgery is going to really set him back, but he is a very spry 12 year old dog. We adopted him at 9, so we're not even sure if he's definitely 12. But it's still a lot to put any dog through. I just worry that a tumor or something like that is causing the gland to be acting up, and if we have the gland removed, it's not going to fix anything. But the vet seems pretty confident it will fix the problem.

They have X-Rays yes? Apologies if I missed that... Rectal and associated cancer is so common no eyebrows are raised...plenty of theories regards food type and such. It's not unlike men with Prostate cancer...the cure can have consequences equal or worse to the disease.

You may consider tolerating the wipes for the good of the boy vs. having a surgery that may compromise his quality of life further. I'm not against surgery one iota however it has to be balanced with the care of the animal long term.

They have X-Rays yes? Apologies if I missed that... Rectal and associated cancer is so common no eyebrows are raised...plenty of theories regards food type and such. It's not unlike men with Prostate cancer...the cure can have consequences equal or worse to the disease.

You may consider tolerating the wipes for the good of the boy vs. having a surgery that may compromise his quality of life further. I'm not against surgery one iota however it has to be balanced with the care of the animal long term.

We haven't had any x-rays done. We held off on having the surgery because of the cost as well as our thinking that it might just fix itself as quickly as it started. It's been about 3 months and hasn't gotten any better. I've gotten use to dealing with it, but it is a pain because everywhere he sits he's leaving a stain at this point. I should probably learn to express the glands myself, since I'm already hosing his rear end off in the shower once a week.

I saw the sign when dropping off my mothers corgies while she was on vacation and commented to the woman who grooms them asking if she expresses the glands. She said it is for people who are having issues and assured me she always does the glands. I changed the post from pie filling after I checked to make sure I was suggesting the right thing to use. I would search again but you probably have.