Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
phatdonkey

Assateague Island, VA end riding in the bed of a truck.

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I planned a trip to AI for some fishing during the tournament season and had another guy who was driving his truck down back out at the last minute. i have a quad cab pickup but can't fit 6 heads in it. are you able to drive on the beach on the VA end with people in the bed of the truck? im hoping to get a difinitive answer, but any answer might help.

I've ridden in the bed of a truck on AI countless times over the years, even with park rangers in the vehicle.  Now, the question will be getting onto the beach.  You guys might just want to clown car it until you get onto the beach and then get some of em to jump in the bed.

that was the plan. one of the guys has a 2WD truck and he will drive it to the beach and then hop in the bed to get onto the beach. thanks for the answer.

Guess it's OK if the rangers say it is, people at AI MD seem to do it all the time...no "tailgating" though....from AI OSV brochure...

"PASSENGER SAFETY

Passengers shall not ride on the fenders, hood, roof, sides, and tailgate or in any other position on the outside of a moving vehicle. No vehicle shall be used to tow a person or any recreational device over land, water or in the air. Use of safety belts is required by law."

I looked up the MD law just for kicks...looks like MD does have a law with restrictions for kids under 15-16 in the bed of a pickup without seat belts depending on over or under 25 MPH vehicle operation...what I read was kinda confusing to me. Anyway don't know if AI rangers follow the Sate laws whatever they are.....

not sure about AI , but one of the stipulations on hatteras and calo is that the tail gate must be up ... no sitting on tailgate while driving ...

just a heads up :)

not sure about AI , but one of the stipulations on hatteras and calo is that the tail gate must be up ... no sitting on tailgate while driving ...

just a heads up :)

AI/Md is the same.No riding on the gate.Gate up. I was stopped a few years ago and warned.

I planned a trip to AI for some fishing during the tournament season and had another guy who was driving his truck down back out at the last minute. i have a quad cab pickup but can't fit 6 heads in it. are you able to drive on the beach on the VA end with people in the bed of the truck? im hoping to get a difinitive answer, but any answer might help.

Wait ......I'll check with Ron White. ;)

So I called the refuge and the guy asked what state i was coming from. i said PA, and he said...hell i think people are born in the beds of trucks in PA aren't they. haha. he said as long as safety is considered it shouldn't be a problem. turns out the other 2 guys bailed anyway so it will only be 4 of us. thanks for all the answers though. im sure i had seen people riding in beds before but couldn't remember for sure.