GSB 120-1L

Rate this topic

fish nurse 23

Well just to add... the 1201M is now rated 3-6 by Lami. The other higher rating was from 20 years ago and according to the folks in the Rod Building Forum, it was way off. Best range for the M is 1-4. Which brings me back to my original question which I did not get answered at all clearly. What is there about the L that makes it a better all around surf blank than the M... particularly if the L likes 2 1/2 and less and the M can do 1 to 3 1/2 or 4 just fine? I have both and like both, but in the boulder fields where I fish I lean toward the M. Right along the beach , the L. Jetty... M.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts" Jack Johnson.

I also own both GSB's 1201L and 1201M, I own both because one shines where the other one doesn't and vice versa. I mentioned before that the 1201L is one of the best live eel rods around,it has a much more sensitive tip which enables me to feel anything that I attach to the end of my line. The "L" is also perfect for working sluggo's (which happens to be my favorite plug) due to its sensitivity. The "L" shines with the lower lure ratings from 1 to 2 1/2 oz. and it can turn a decent fish in a boulderfield but you aren't going to be horsing in anything large. With that being said the "L" will not do so well with larger plugs or rigged eels. The 1201M takes up where the 1201L leaves off. The "M" is a bit beefier with a stiffer tip and can handle larger plugs. When I reach for my "M" the plugs I'm packing are in the range from 2 1/2 to 3 and change. The "M" fishes better with places of stronger currents such as points or inlets, and is a superb "jetty stick". I just don't think that there is a better rod than the other. If I wanted the best of both worlds I would grab my GSB 1321M but thats another conversation :D

I don't catch feelings, I catch fish.

I also own both GSB's 1201L and 1201M, I own both because one shines where the other one doesn't and vice versa. I mentioned before that the 1201L is one of the best live eel rods around,it has a much more sensitive tip which enables me to feel anything that I attach to the end of my line. The "L" is also perfect for working sluggo's (which happens to be my favorite plug) due to its sensitivity. The "L" shines with the lower lure ratings from 1 to 2 1/2 oz. and it can turn a decent fish in a boulderfield but you aren't going to be horsing in anything large. With that being said the "L" will not do so well with larger plugs or rigged eels. The 1201M takes up where the 1201L leaves off. The "M" is a bit beefier with a stiffer tip and can handle larger plugs. When I reach for my "M" the plugs I'm packing are in the range from 2 1/2 to 3 and change. The "M" fishes better with places of stronger currents such as points or inlets, and is a superb "jetty stick". I just don't think that there is a better rod than the other. If I wanted the best of both worlds I would grab my GSB 1321M but thats another conversation :D
Excellent... thanks. I agree right across the board.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts" Jack Johnson.

• 1 month later...