Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fish nurse 23

GSB 120-1L

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Hey guys I just picked up a beautiful 120-1L and I am curious as to what I can max that rod out at as far as throwing plugs? I have heard a few people say the sweet spot is around 2oz but can handle up to a 3-1/2.  I am wondering if I can still get away with using it as an all around rod especially when I need to throw heavy into the wind?

Thanks so much for any advice, Im new to fishing the south shore. - eddie 

It can handle a lot more than 3 1/2. ive thrown riggys and live eels that weigh up to 5 to 6oz. ive also thrown 4 1/2 plugs with ease. The sweet spot is I feel is 1 1/2 to 2 1/2

All around rod is the best way to describe it. It is the best at nothing but great at everything if that makes sense. :freak:

If I have no clue where or what, this is the rod I grab.

All around rod is the best way to describe it. It is the best at nothing but great at everything if that makes sense. :freak:

If I have no clue where or what, this is the rod I grab.

Agree, maybe because I'm a lami guy.......excellent rod all around.

I built one several years ago for fishing bait and up to six ounces with a conventional reel. Use it this way until three years ago when I stripped it and re-wrapped it as a spinning rod for throwing plugs. I threw everything from 3/4oz jigs, live eels, rigged eels, and plugs up to 3-1/2oz swimmers. It never let me down or disappointed me.

Use the rod and enjoy it, the "L" series lets you feel everything and still has enough of a spine to set the hook and land a big fish!!

I wouldn't throw much more than 3 or 3 1/2 oz. with the rod.

That being said in my opinion it may be one of the best if not the best rod blanks for actual fishing for striped bass.

It can handle a lot more than 3 1/2. ive thrown riggys and live eels that weigh up to 5 to 6oz. ive also thrown 4 1/2 plugs with ease. The sweet spot is I feel is 1 1/2 to 2 1/2

agreed on the sweet spot 1.5 to 2.5 oz. if your throwing heavier consider the 1201m.

Don't want to get this off topic, but, I'm wondering what the L does or has that makes it a better choice as an all around rod than the 1201M. Thanks.

Lami catalog says the GSB 1201M is 3-6.

1201L is 2-4 in the catalog.

My factory wrapped 1201M conventional is marked 3-6 too.

on the south shore in heavy winds and big water you would be under gunned imo. you'd have a better shot  with a 1321L which gives you more on the butt end.

compared to a 1321M or similar blank an 1201L would not cut it in big weather and water. the 1321L would be a better all around rod.

the 1201L is a great rod for more limited apps.