Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
newpilgrim

Confounded Cod Rod

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Hello folks,

I am interested in a cod/hake rod/reel combo for deep sea fishing off the Massachusett's coast. I am also interested in a lighter, ground fishing setup for scup, sea bass and fluke.

For deep sea fishing, I just purchased an Ugly Stik Tiger Lite jigging casting rod, 5'8" extra heavy, 100-200lbs test braid, 8-14oz. For the reel I ordered an Avet MXL 5.8 reel. I think I will add 80lb test braid (easier to de-tangle and in case I get a double-header). I think the rod's line test is overkill, but I wanted a rod that can jig at least 12oz for deep sea fishing, as that's what I hear is used for weight around here. Is this rod still too light to handle New England cod? Should I get something rated for 20oz? Also, I see lots of folk recommend sticks that are 7' long... although this stick is 5'8", is there something I might lose an advantage with, with a stick this short?

Now, the second question... I think I can get away and use the same reel for ground fishing, but can I use this same rod for catching scup? Will this rod be too stiff? I was thinking of getting a 6'3, heavy Ugly Stik Tiger Lite jigging rod, 4-7oz, 50-100lb test for my scup rod.

Thanks for your help. This has been bugging me for a few weeks, in trying to decide if I can use the same reel for both styles and what types of rod should I get for ground and deep sea fishing. I don't want to spend too much on the rod(s). My collection is growing. ;)

Sincerely,

New Pilgrim

In general, you can use the larger MX for smaller inshore game but why? It's a much heavier reel than you need for inshore fishing. I'd get something lighter in weight.

If you see a lot of folks recommend a 7' rod why would you buy one that is 5'8"? From a party boat a longer rod keeps the line away from the boat and gives you leverage. For cod a lot of guys use 8' rods although 7' will be fine. A 7' to 7.5' rod will serve you well for all the fishing you described, but a cod rod will be overkill for scup, seabass and fluke. You need two setups. You might also be better served with a star drag reel, something in the 20 class sizes for inshore and 30 or 40 class for cod/deep sea bass.

rated 100 to 200 lbs ? too heavy for cod and way too heavy for scup. Scup you can use a heavy freshwater rod if you wanted to no need to get the 50 to 100.

Thanks guys. This is all very helpful and makes sense. I will see if I can change out my reel and get something lighter. Gonna get two dedicated sticks. Now I understand why folks get the longer rods... yeah, I guess my rod is not the right type of rod. Well, I got the receipt, I will go get something longer and rated per your recommendations. Gonna look into star drag reel too. This is all great info. 'Preciate your time guys.

-New Pilgrim

Thanks guys. This is all very helpful and makes sense. I will see if I can change out my reel and get something lighter. Gonna get two dedicated sticks. Now I understand why folks get the longer rods... yeah, I guess my rod is not the right type of rod. Well, I got the receipt, I will go get something longer and rated per your recommendations. Gonna look into star drag reel too. This is all great info. 'Preciate your time guys.

-New Pilgrim

That's what these forums are for.

If you see a lot of folks recommend a 7' rod why would you buy one that is 5'8"? From a party boat a longer rod keeps the line away from the boat and gives you leverage. For cod a lot of guys use 8' rods although 7' will be fine. A 7' to 7.5' rod will serve you well for all the fishing you described, but a cod rod will be overkill for scup, seabass and fluke. You need two setups. You might also be better served with a star drag reel, something in the 20 class sizes for inshore and 30 or 40 class for cod/deep sea bass.

I don't know. I play the whole course with my 7 iron.

-New Pilgrim

If you return the rod check out the Ugly Stick BWB 1120 - 8 ft - 40-80 lb.

If you return the rod check out the Ugly Stick BWB 1120 - 8 ft - 40-80 lb.

a great off the shelf rod for groundfishing in the gulf of Maine.