Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brandeezy

Northern NJ / Rockland County Hudson River Early Spring Runs???

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

What's up everyone.

New to the board here. Was wondering if anyone knows if there's anything hitting up around the Nyack/Piermont area. I don't have a boat and wanted to do some surf casting this weekend from shore or pier somewhere over here.

If anyone knows if anything is running, or what kind of lures/bait they would hit on over here around this time of year please give me a heads up.

I usually fish down in Seaside/IBSP but not able to make it down there yet, and if I have to wait another week to go fishing I'm gonna lose it!

So I'm thinking light weight rods from shore/pier. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Brando

Brando, there are reports of scattered striper activity in the Tappan Zee, Peirmont, Haverstraw Bay and on up to Peekskill.

Your best bet is to check in at the bait and tackle shops in that part of the river. Swing by and find out what's happening locally. it will probably be a bait deal, bunker chunks, blood worms, clams, etc. So you are going to have to get bait. You might as well spend the money locally and get the skinny those B&T operators are gleaning from their customers.

It is too early for a lot of activity, so the online reports are skimpy and far between. i saw pictures of small schoolies being caught on the LI or NJ forum a week ago. Check the "Up the Hudson Report" thread bay scrolling down to it on this page.

Good Luck and enjoy the weekend.

That's what I was figuring. Thanks for the response.

I'm looking to go right around the Tappan Zee. Nyack/Piermont... I didn't even think of Haverstraw .

Can you refer any decent bait shops around here? Do you think there's any chance of anything hitting on metal this time of year?

I have all my big rods at my shore house banghead.gif... All lightweight rods at home. I'm happy just being on the water, but the girlfriend might get impatient after the 1st hour passes without a bite, LOL.

Brando

Shu-fly in Nanuet.

Leave the metal home. Your targeting bass in shallow mud flats that are rooting around for worms and other slow moving prey.

I just watched some guys take 5-6 schoolies in an hour just south of the TZB on the Westchester side tonight at sunset.

I've never used circle hooks when using bait targeting larger fish, but after what I saw I really think that maybe for little light hitting fish like this with bait they are a must. They were good guys who clearly meant no harm, but I think every fish I saw was deep hooked, with several bleeding out the gills. Lifting them up the sea wall hooked that deep, then dropping them back. I had serious concerns about the mortality issue.

If I take a shot at these little guys, I'm going to go circle, and I'd urge others to consider the same.

I figured that there would be good action today on the river with all of that sunshine. Spent fun day with wife n kids upstate, but I'll get my time on the water soon enough.

I see similar scenes on my side of the river, too: tossing fish back like a sack of potatoes, keeping shorts, poor handling, etc. It's simply ignorance.

Sad, but I'm afraid the folks who's bad habits we'd like to change are not reading this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxKatt View Post

I just watched some guys take 5-6 schoolies in an hour just south of the TZB on the Westchester side tonight at sunset.

I've never used circle hooks when using bait targeting larger fish, but after what I saw I really think that maybe for little light hitting fish like this with bait they are a must. They were good guys who clearly meant no harm, but I think every fish I saw was deep hooked, with several bleeding out the gills. Lifting them up the sea wall hooked that deep, then dropping them back. I had serious concerns about the mortality issue.

If I take a shot at these little guys, I'm going to go circle, and I'd urge others to consider the same.

When baiting I only use circles. IMO they should be mandatory when targeting striped bass with bait. Also IMO if you are straight dead sticking, it only makes sense to use circles because the fish hook themselves most of the time, less worries about missing the hit.

The early stripers are around N of the Tappenzee they are small but at the right tide there is a lot of them to be caught. All fish have been on blood worms good luck got get them

When baiting I only use circles. IMO they should be mandatory when targeting striped bass with bait. Also IMO if you are straight dead sticking, it only makes sense to use circles because the fish hook themselves most of the time, less worries about missing the hit.

They were dead sticking. And again, I chatted them up and they were all good guys. I asked, but they were not SOL members. I just think when you see that deep throat pattern developing you've got to think about trying the circle alternative.

No I agree. No doubt they were good guys, I suspect the average guy that goes out there and throws worms/bait doesnt know what the heck a circle hook is let alone how to set it. I think it would have to be a law for them to be used wide spread