Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
scorzellim

Avet Reels

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I was looking to buy an avet reel this weekend but I have two questions before I buy I was hoping you guys could help me with.

My first question has to do with the location of the reel handle. I know that the avet reels come in both right and left, but if the reel is a right reel, does this mean that the handle will be on the right or left side? I'm right handed, but I prefer to crank with my left hand so i want to make sure that I'm getting a reel with the handle on the left side of the reel when the reel is positioned above the rod.

My second question has to do with the width of the reels. I know that the "J" in the reel size is a narrower spool reel and stands for jigging. My question is how does a narrower spool help with jigging and how will this affect other functions of the reel such as casting, cranking, drag output etc.

Thanks for everyones help!

Drag output will not be affected by the J suffix.   

Thinner spool means easier line leveling, less rotating mass, and diminished line capacity.

It all really depends on what you are looking to do with the reel.  

I have 2 mxls, one on the heaver, and one on a TLC70HBBL that gets used on the jetty and boat.  

Yes, RH retrieve means the handle will be on the right side, and vice-versa. So you will want the LH model. I'm the same way.

I don't own a J, but I think a narrower reel is more conducive to techniques where you will be holding on to the rod, like jigging. It also would be easier to level the line on a narrower spool.

Thanks guys that was really helpful. I am looking to get the sx raptor and I think for what I'll be doing that reel is small enough that I wont really have a problem leveling the line. I'll take the extra line capacity, though I wish it wasn't such a gap in line capacity from the sxj to the sx. I want about 400-500 ft of 30 lb braid which the sxj can't hold that much and the sx will probably hold about 700 ft of. It's going to cost over 70 bucks just to put line on the reel :o I'll probably put on some heavy mono as backing to save me some money on the braid

I just bought a St.Croix 7' rod model AC70MHF and a Avet SXJ MC spooled with 300 yards of 30lb braid, cannot imagine needing more line than that. Amazing how small the reel is. One nice thing is the combo is 100% made in the USA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scorzellim View Post

Thanks guys that was really helpful. I am looking to get the sx raptor and I think for what I'll be doing that reel is small enough that I wont really have a problem leveling the line. I'll take the extra line capacity, though I wish it wasn't such a gap in line capacity from the sxj to the sx. I want about 400-500 ft of 30 lb braid which the sxj can't hold that much and the sx will probably hold about 700 ft of. It's going to cost over 70 bucks just to put line on the reel redface.gif I'll probably put on some heavy mono as backing to save me some money on the braid

theres a brand new in the box sx lefty for 110.00 shipped right now in the BST..