Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Littorally

NY Marine License Fee

Rate this topic

109 posts in this topic

This was sent out as part of "The Fishing Line" newsletter.

I know this has been discussed briefly in other threads, but I would like to hear everyone's opinion/ suggestions on this topic. And if you do or do not understand the implications of this decision.

"March 28, 2013:

State Senator Lee M. Zeldin (R-C-I, Shirley) today announced that the Senate has passed the portion of the State Budget that permanently eliminates the Saltwater Fishing License Fee.

"The elimination of the Saltwater Fishing License Fee was one of many important priorities for me since taking office in 2011," said Senator Zeldin. "The three year moratorium we secured in the 2011-2012 budget was a big victory for all Long Islanders, but there is no better to build on that success than to permanently eliminate the fee in this year's budget. I am very grateful that Governor Cuomo included the elimination of this fee in his 30 Day Executive Budget Amendment."

Earlier this year, Senator Zeldin and Assemblyman Thiele introduced legislation to permanently eliminate the Salt Water Fishing License Fee (S3709/A4838). The elimination of the Fee is part of a larger budget bill (S.2608-D) that also simplifies, consolidates and reduces the prices of hunting and other fishing licenses.

"I would like to thank not only my Senate colleagues who have worked with me on this goal, but I would also like to thank the thousands of fishermen, including the Recreational Fishing Alliance, NY Sportfishing Federation and Captree Boatmen's Association, who called, wrote, faxed and signed our petition," continued Senator Zeldin. "I also commend Assemblyman Fred Thiele who took the lead in the State Assembly to ensure that the fee was eliminated in this year's budget."

Assemblyman Fred W. Thiele, Jr. (I-D-WF, Sag Harbor) stated, "Fishing in our local oceans, and bays is considered a birth right by our residents that goes back to colonial times. Recreational fishing is a critical sector in New York State's economy. Recreational marine fishing in New York creates $812 million in sales, directly supports 5,365 jobs, provides $424 million in value-added economic impact, and $126 million in tax revenue, according to a 2006 National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) study. Permanent repeal of the saltwater fishing license eliminates this unnecessary burden on this important economic engine as we recover from the worst recession in decades. This is a major victory for Long Island."

"Recreational and commercial saltwater fishing is one of the many great treasures of Long Island," concluded Senator Zeldin. "It's part of our history, and for many, it's a primary reason why we live here. This is a big win for Long Island's saltwater fishermen."

Senator Zeldin will be hosting an event with local saltwater fishermen to commemorate the elimination of the Saltwater Fishing License Fee at the start of the upcoming 2013 fishing seasons."

Correct me if I'm wrong....but wasn't the fee done away with already? I haven't paid in 2 yrs. Do you actually receive Dic Johnson's newsletter? Just asking :squid:

I believe it was originally stated to be free for two years, or until they decided how they would move forward. I guess it has been permanently eliminated....well at least until some politician decides otherwise.

Really doesn't mean much.

Registration has been free for a while now; the "free" period has been subject to sunset clauses, in which the license fee would be required at some point in the future, but it was pretty clear that in the current Albany environment, the intent of most legislators was to keep kicking the can down the road for at least the near future, to avoid seeing the fee reinstated.

Now we see what is being called a "permanent" change, which means that the sunset clause is removed and there is no deadline for going back to a fee-based system. But calling the no-fee registration "permanent" is misleading.

At any time that the legislature feels that a license would be beneficial, and the governor chooses not to veto the relevant legislation, a license bill will be passed and signed into law. It's not likely to happen with this administration, and so the legislation in question, by eliminating the sunset clause, probably pushed back the date when a license will again be required.

But in the long run, the "permanent" no-fee registration is about as "permanent" as the artificial dunes being build on the barrier beach. If and when the right set of forces coincide, it will be blown away.

The "license" was found to be illegal in the East End Townships, a free registry is fine, but if the State tries to charge us a fee for a God given RIGHT, then it will mean another lawsuit. The state doesn't have jurisdiction in Town waters.

Its a marine yearly registry at this point. When I get my FW license in september, the marine registry gets stamped on it as well.

Ok, so my question to everyone is, would you be in favor of a pay license? Why or why not?

The DEC's Marine Bureau is woefully underfunded. If license money went into Marine Bureau programs that would benefit anglers (e.g. better science re local stocks, better harvest surveys, habitat protection, perhaps reefs and ramps), then as an angler, i would be foolish not to support it.

Pakalolo--

I respect your opinion, but in my view, you shouldn't put too much reliance on the trial court case the last time around. I am a practicing attorney, who was admitted to the bar in '79. Since that time, I have never seen a decision that was more badly reasoned, or which so badly misapplied (or ignored) precedent as that one. In my view, if the matter had been appealed to the 2nd Department, the trial court's decision would have been overturned based both on a rereading of the cases cited by the trial court judge and by the citation of cases ignored by that judge that inevitably lead to a different conclusion. I think that a proper reading of the existing case law would result in a finding that the Dongan Patent gives the town trustees sole authority over non-migratory fish in freshwater ponds that do not have ready access to the sea, and over the bay bottom and shellfish that live in or on the bay bottom; however, the State of New York would have authority over migratory finfish, which authority would include the ability to license persons who fish for them. If the matter had gone to the appellate courts, I would have been willing to wager a fairly large chunk of cash on a ruling favoring the DEC.

Well said!

So how do we fix this? How can anglers provide funding to the marine bureau so that we can benefit from their programs like anglers elsewhere (i.e. Florida) do? I'm willing to bet that everyone here would like better fishing opportunities than what we have now, how do we make it happen?

My reply is not directed against an y politician in particular, but a general comment:

This is another example of politics as usual. They raise our property taxes by thousands of $$ every year, but, they like to get on the news using "emotional" issues!!! I think everyone here must hava BIG SIGH OF RELIEF that they have an extra $15 in their pockets!!! Hooray!

I hate when theyplay with our intelligence; We r not in Kanses any more Yall!

I would be happy to pay $25 per year to increase the DEC funding.

The Senator and the Assembly man are fools. The original premise for the Salt water Registery was to provide ASFMC and NOAA with the tools to better estimate the number of recreational anglers on the east coast.

The story as i remember it was if the states who did not have a salt water license didn't introduce a state mandated and adminmistered list of salt water anglers they would not have access to any of the federal funding from the SM Bill that takes a 10% Excise Tax from the manufacturers of all purchases involving fresh and saltwater fishing tools, materials, bait and any gear associated with fishing and 10% of all hunting related expenses for big and small game.

If i'm not recalling this correctly, i apologise. But if NY State finally was give the states portion of saltwater fishing purchase from the SM Fund for the past 3 or 4 years they have been collecting names for the feds, i nthe same manner they collect CDL license fees for a federally required license for drivers. Then the federal SM Funding for those SW items that have produced additional revenue to the state of NY will go away..

Second consideration. If the State of NY has received additional payment for their share of the 10% charges to salt water fishermen in NY State, why haven't the the Senators and the the Assemblymen designated those additional funds to the Marine Bureau and the Hudson River Fisheries Unit.

The reason we do not have the YOY and Female age 8+ grafts for 2010 and 2011 has been because they have been short handed and overwhelmed. You will see those charts before the end of April. They have been doing the important part of that study. Netting and noting striped bass for those studies. I've been assured that the graphs will be updated either this month or in April, before they start the Age 8+ Female netting while the breeders are hanging out waiting to spawn.

Some of you Long Island Guys, should ask your Senator's and Your Assemplymen if the flow of SM Excise Tax money for Saltwater purchases will be affected when they quit taking the names of anglers who fish recreationaly.

:mad::mad::mad::mad: I hate self serving political buffoons. I don't live in Long Island and the two self-satisfied fella's at the top of this thread are not the only Senator and Assemblyman who need to hear from their fishing constituents. I live in the Hudson Valley,. you have the telephone power, the drop into the political offices those you sent to Albany maintain in your voting district. Write a letter, is better than a phone call. But a phone call asking for information on how much Federal Excise Tax will NY lose if the state ends the Salt Water Registry. Not license, not Permit but REGISTERY. And while your at it, call Chuck Shumer and see if his staff is aware of the possible loss of revenue to NY from a federal fund.

Plant the seed and tell the you will call back. If you write a letter, "respectfully request" a reply including the facts.

If I'm wrong, you lose NADA. If I'm right NY loses a lot. And may upset the delicate balance of cooperartion between states involve in managing the species of fish and other marine animals along the east coast.

If every other staate is stuck doing it and NY goes it's own, uninfomed way, Their maybe reprecussions, including the loss of fish free in NJ, CT and RI. There is not trade off, if NY doesn't participate in the Federal Registery. Double :huh::kook::upck:

I rest my case.. Perhaps Long Island can have and "Easter Up Rising" of their own to be proud of! "UP THE ANGLERS!"

The DEC's Marine Bureau is woefully underfunded. If license money went into Marine Bureau programs that would benefit anglers (e.g. better science re local stocks, better harvest surveys, habitat protection, perhaps reefs and ramps), then as an angler, i would be foolish not to support it.

Pakalolo--

I respect your opinion, but in my view, you shouldn't put too much reliance on the trial court case the last time around. I am a practicing attorney, who was admitted to the bar in '79. Since that time, I have never seen a decision that was more badly reasoned, or which so badly misapplied (or ignored) precedent as that one. In my view, if the matter had been appealed to the 2nd Department, the trial court's decision would have been overturned based both on a rereading of the cases cited by the trial court judge and by the citation of cases ignored by that judge that inevitably lead to a different conclusion. I think that a proper reading of the existing case law would result in a finding that the Dongan Patent gives the town trustees sole authority over non-migratory fish in freshwater ponds that do not have ready access to the sea, and over the bay bottom and shellfish that live in or on the bay bottom; however, the State of New York would have authority over migratory finfish, which authority would include the ability to license persons who fish for them. If the matter had gone to the appellate courts, I would have been willing to wager a fairly large chunk of cash on a ruling favoring the DEC.

Very Good Information, as usual! :th:

The Senator and the Assembly man are fools. The original premise for the Salt water Registery was to provide ASFMC and NOAA with the tools to better estimate the number of recreational anglers on the east coast.

The story as i remember it was if the states who did not have a salt water license didn't introduce a state mandated and adminmistered list of salt water anglers they would not have access to any of the federal funding from the SM Bill that takes a 10% Excise Tax from the manufacturers of all purchases involving fresh and saltwater fishing tools, materials, bait and any gear associated with fishing and 10% of all hunting related expenses for big and small game.

If i'm not recalling this correctly, i apologise. But if NY State finally was give the states portion of saltwater fishing purchase from the SM Fund for the past 3 or 4 years they have been collecting names for the feds, i nthe same manner they collect CDL license fees for a federally required license for drivers. Then the federal SM Funding for those SW items that have produced additional revenue to the state of NY will go away..

Second consideration. If the State of NY has received additional payment for their share of the 10% charges to salt water fishermen in NY State, why haven't the the Senators and the the Assemblymen designated those additional funds to the Marine Bureau and the Hudson River Fisheries Unit.

The reason we do not have the YOY and Female age 8+ grafts for 2010 and 2011 has been because they have been short handed and overwhelmed. You will see those charts before the end of April. They have been doing the important part of that study. Netting and noting striped bass for those studies. I've been assured that the graphs will be updated either this month or in April, before they start the Age 8+ Female netting while the breeders are hanging out waiting to spawn.

Some of you Long Island Guys, should ask your Senator's and Your Assemplymen if the flow of SM Excise Tax money for Saltwater purchases will be affected when they quit taking the names of anglers who fish recreationaly.

:mad::mad::mad::mad: I hate self serving political buffoons. I don't live in Long Island and the two self-satisfied fella's at the top of this thread are not the only Senator and Assemblyman who need to hear from their fishing constituents. I live in the Hudson Valley,. you have the telephone power, the drop into the political offices those you sent to Albany maintain in your voting district. Write a letter, is better than a phone call. But a phone call asking for information on how much Federal Excise Tax will NY lose if the state ends the Salt Water Registry. Not license, not Permit but REGISTERY. And while your at it, call Chuck Shumer and see if his staff is aware of the possible loss of revenue to NY from a federal fund.

Plant the seed and tell the you will call back. If you write a letter, "respectfully request" a reply including the facts.

If I'm wrong, you lose NADA. If I'm right NY loses a lot. And may upset the delicate balance of cooperartion between states involve in managing the species of fish and other marine animals along the east coast.

If every other staate is stuck doing it and NY goes it's own, uninfomed way, Their maybe reprecussions, including the loss of fish free in NJ, CT and RI. There is not trade off, if NY doesn't participate in the Federal Registery. Double :huh::kook::upck:

I rest my case.. Perhaps Long Island can have and "Easter Up Rising" of their own to be proud of! "UP THE ANGLERS!"

:th:

This is the first time I hear that NY is about to drop the free registry requirement. :confused:

Where did you hear about it?

I thought the discussion was about the salt water license fee which was dropped because all the cry babies couldn't handle couple of $ to be spend on our fishery and claiming it is "just another tax".