Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tony C58

Best Books

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

Guys, thought I would post in this forum even though my request is more geared toward the canal. 

I bought a book at RISSA by Zeno Hromin, The Art of Surfcasting with Lures. This was a good read even though it was more Montauk-based than I would like.  Still it is loaded with good advice.

Any other books that you would recommend along these lines? 

I enjoy a good read as it can only help if you know what I mean. cwm15.gif

Fishing the Bucktail by John Skinner is full of useful info, the key to any book is using a tidbit of info here and there and applying it to your situation. Another good read for enjoyment is Stemming the Tide by Charlie Soars..

For the boat guys Charlie Soars has written many excellent books and articles from the tube and worm to casting plugs in the bvoulder fields. This guy has a wealth of down to earth knowledge obtained by actually fishing..................

One book that should be in every book case is the one put out by On The Water

It is called New England Stripers a fishing anthology.

A collection of articles by some of the best writers that fish our local waters. Covering The Cape all the way up to Plum Island

"Reading the Water" by Robert Post.

Yep, that was going to be one of my suggestions. You will see first editions selling for ridiculous $, but can find paperbacks for a good price. This is a great read through the perspective of some Vineyard legends.

The Big One is another book about the Vineyard derby through the perspective of a writer who joins different people throughout. I enjoyed it, but know some others who don't like the way it portrayed the derby.

Skinners bucktail book is good, and the only bucktail book you really need to read. I really enjoyed his book A Season on the Edge. This is not a technique book, but stories about different outings he has had, primarily on Long Island.

On The Run is a book you could read in one or two sittings. Started off pretty good, but fizzled at the end (IMO).

I have read pretty much every technique striper fishing book out there, and they all start to sound the same after a while.

On my list to read are Zeno's new book - Hooked, and DZ's book Surfcasting Around the Block.

On my list to read are Zeno's new book - Hooked, and DZ's book Surfcasting Around the Block.

I've read every book by Zeno except this one but just bought it this morning on kindle. Looking forward to reading it.

I bought one Charley Soares book - Stemming The Tide - and don't know if I would buy another. Sure, his stories and knowledge are great, but I don't think I've ever seen such a horrid example of publishing. The cover shot looks like a stretched 72-dpi pic, and it's absolutely clear nobody edited the text. It's actually painful to read at times. And if you're spending 15-20 bucks on a book, it'd be nice to know there was an iota of effort put into it.

Thanks guys for the advice.  Hanover, I'm looking for technique so I can learn, the stories are fun and entertaining but I get enough of that here with all of you guys hooked.gif.

Dave D, remember I don't have a boat or even a bike (yet) so I m really just shore bound and that is where I need to sharpen my skills .

One book that should be in every book case is the one put out by On The Water

It is called New England Stripers a fishing anthology.

A collection of articles by some of the best writers that fish our local waters. Covering The Cape all the way up to Plum Island

X2

I bought one Charley Soares book - Stemming The Tide - and don't know if I would buy another. Sure, his stories and knowledge are great, but I don't think I've ever seen such a horrid example of publishing. The cover shot looks like a stretched 72-dpi pic, and it's absolutely clear nobody edited the text. It's actually painful to read at times. And if you're spending 15-20 bucks on a book, it'd be nice to know there was an iota of effort put into it.

Agreed with the editing but always appreciate local stories -- well worth the read

Tper

For the canal you can all the information you need in this forum. There is more information on it then anything else!

As far as a useful book that will teach you to be a good fisherman is Monster shallow water stripers by Capt. Jim White. Very well written. He basically tells you how to combat any fishing situation in a step by step process.

Other books that I have a similar style of writing are The fly Fishers guide to the Florida keys by Ben Taylor. And great lakes salmon and trout by Carl Weiximann. I swear these books are like a instruction manual on how to become a good fisherman. Of course there is way to much information to remember, so take notes.

No know would dare write a book exclusively on the Canal. They might end up on the back of a milk carton. LOL! All kidding aside the book you already have The art of Surfcasting with lures is the best book I have ever read on using plugs and it covers quite a few. Wish someone else would write a similar book on lures for the salt.

If you want a good read try the armchair angler.Its a collextion of fish tales from Hemingway,Walton Ted Williams,Zane Grey n others.Enjoyed it.IMO There are some instructional ones that just do basics.. skinners and zenos are pretty good,.winter is good for turning plugs and readtng..