Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
renix

Yakfishing South Carolina

6 posts in this topic

I'm not necessarily representative of the kayak fishing folks in the Charleston, but after reading a lot of the posts here, I though you'd be interested in what seems to be a slightly different style of fishing - at least a lot different than the surf launches and deepwater I read about quite often.

I bought a kayak to fish the small saltwater creeks and bays of the SC coast. Most of my fishing is in less than 3 feet of water and often much less. It's not unusual to have to push through the "pluff" mud to get to the prime fishing areas at the proper stage of the tide. Speed isn't really much of an issue and rudders are useless. I don't have to carry an anchor - an old golf club shaft or ski pole through a scupper hole is all I need to stay in position.

I fish mainly spinning gear - 8 lb. test with a 20 lb. leader and no weight at all, using live shrimp for bait or occasionally blue crab. It's a rush when a 10 pound redfish slams your bait in a foot of water and takes off between the shell banks. I've yet to catch one on a fly, but it's my next goal. Most of the time, we can see fish slamming through schools of shrimp and quite often we're sightcasting to a specific fish.

Next time you visit or pass through SC, send me an email and we'll chase some fish.

Last Saturday, I caught my largest red of the year - somewhere in the 32" to 34" range. Here's a pic: mikefish_small.jpg

------------------

Mike

renix@comcast.net

Wish I had known this a coupl eof months ago. I was in Myrtle beach and needed some help. Good for you on the specialized applicatins you have found. Nice fish!! Scott

Ditto, what Scott said. I was down your way too and would have loved to have hooked up.

Welcome to the forum.

The type of fishing you describe is my kind of fishing.

Where exactly are you in SC? The reason I ask is I have a buddy with a place in Myrtle beach and we can use his place. I checked the map and I see that you're south of Charleston.

What times of year are best and how's the winter fishing?

------------------

baja55@optonline.net

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 09-17-2002).]

I'm about 4 miles north of Charleston and about 1-1.5 hours from the southern end of Myrtle Beach. Winter fishing for redfish is very good, especially if temperatures remain somewhat moderate. Come on down!

You probably went out of either Shem Creek (passed the shrimp boats on the way out) into the Harbor or out of Remley's Point and into the river right near the bridges. I try to launch at smaller "throw-in" locations so I don't have to deal with a lot of powerboats. As you can see from the photo, the depth of the water and the huge banks of oysters that stretch out over a wide area, restrict this area to either kayaks, rowboats or poling flats boats. All those oysters are about 6"-12" under the surface at high tide - you can tell by looking at the bottom of my Drifter.