Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Starfish45

Sustain 4000 repair needed

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I haven't needed to have someone repair a reel in a long time. Need to have a Shimano Sustain 4000 repaired. Something with the bail trip. Any suggestions. I don't mind shipping. Thanks for any help. I'm in NJ.

I sent mine back to shimano North America Paid shipping there. They replaced all my gears and bearings and shipped it back to me at no cost. Mine is 4 years old and they continue to fix it for me. Good customer service!

Your best bet is to send it back to the company in Ca. Some tackle shops will be able to fix it but if parts are needed & they don't have them they will have to order from the factory. You could be waiting a long time. If you send it to them it will be fixed properly & in less time.

I use Bucko's in Masachusetts. Go to Bucko's site, print the reel repair form, fill it out and follow the difections in shipping the reel. I sent a sustain 5000 in and had it back in 10 days.

I don't have any problem using the Shimano service in CA. I posted this as an alternate should you want it.

Before sending it anywhere, whats the problem with the trip? These things are easily rectified by explaining the problem, any pics of the issue?

Shimano recently stopped providing service for the FD Sustains but still continues to service the FE and FG models.

They stopped providing service? How long has the reel been out of production?

They no longer support the FD series Sustains, the reel has been out of production since the FE Sustains hit the market sometime back around 2007 and the FE Sustains were discontinued last year due to the arrival of the FG's.

Shimano supports reels for 5 to 7 years after discontinuation, the FD has hit that point and Shimano took it off their list about 5 months ago.

The FE reels will still be supported for another 5 years at least though, you can still get the FD fixed by using other repair shops, but a trip problem is not something i would send a reel in for.

I just checked Shimano's site again and they no longer list model #'s or series which is odd, they used to list what series and models they service and don't service , the FD models were removed the last time i checked so i would call to be sure.

I think 5 to 7 is reasonable myself although they are in reality being supported closer to 5 which is still not bad. This is just Shimano's policy i guess , remember, other repair outlets may service and have parts for far longer if one takes the time to look.

Its ashame that this reel ( the FD) falls into this catagory of no-longer being serviced because it is a great reel ..I have fished these things harder than hard ever since they came out and with a little maintence every year they seem to last a lifetime with no problems in my case.. The same I don't think can be said for the generations afterwards including the latest FG's

Good Info. and Good Catch Guys,,

Steve

Its ashame that this reel ( the FD) falls into this catagory of no-longer being serviced because it is a great reel ..I have fished these things harder than hard ever since they came out and with a little maintence every year they seem to last a lifetime with no problems in my case.. The same I don't think can be said for the generations afterwards including the latest FG's

Good Info. and Good Catch Guys,,

Steve

Steve, Shimano applies the 5 to 7 year time frame for most of it's reels that have been discontinued . The FD 's are not being singled out . After the FD 's were discontinued they were still supported through the entire run of the FE series Sustains which ran from approx 2007 to mid 2012, that's pretty darn good.

I am glad you experienced no issues with yours and the fact that it's a great reel has no bearing on whether it's going to continue to be supported or not , there are tons of great reels that are no longer being supported .Manufacturers move on with new things , believe me i wish reels were supported indefinitely like the old Penn's were but unfortunately it's not the case.

It's one reason why i don't buy high priced reels, they aren't supported long enough imo. Parts for the FD should be around for a long time though , i wouldn't worry about it if you have them. Not supported just means they no longer will work on and have ceased making replacement parts for it.

Imo i think it's unwise to purchase a reel that is no longer supported even if it is reliable , all reels require upkeep at some point, only if the reel was being offered at a substantial discount would i consider it worth the gamble. I respect how you feel about it though, we get attached to stuff.