Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Espresso

DPSM18 Size Fuji Reel Seat

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I'm fairly new to rod building and was looking to wrap a 11' 1-5oz surf rod used for tossing lures. The blank itself is pretty thin and light weight for it's length. At the butt, it's just over 17mm dia and near the reel seat it's about 15.5mm dia. Given these specs, I was just curious if anyone has used a DPSM18 sized reel seat on a similar sized 10'-11' surf rod? It seems to fit a Shimano 8000 reel foot fine but it's visibly smaller than say a DPSM20. Has anyone used a DPSM18 and had any issues with strength when fighting a larger fish? Just looking for opinions on which reel seat size to go with. Thanks!

I used the dpsm 18 on my 10 foot century stealth, fits great. Usually have my vs150 on it but last fall I did take it out a few times with my shimano spheros 8000fa and it paired fine with it. Good luck with your build.

on some of my century stealth rods i have a size 17, i like using the smallest reel seat possible, it holds a vs/zeebaas without issue and all other reels seem to be fine.

but yes a 18 to 20 seems like a big jump in size.

so people prefer a bigger seat especially if you plan on building up the butt section, say with a cork grip then x flock over it, or a "paco" style grip, the cork/flocc will sit even with a larger seat and have a some transistion where a smaller seat will be lower than the grip, something to keep in mind.

no issues with big fish either.

not sure what blank you have but if its a century and you need a starting guide layout please ask, will be glad to help.

A VS size 200 class and above will not fit the 18. They fit the 20 though. As stated earlier, VS150 fits the 18. No problem with a zeebaas reel though... Trying some experimantation stretching the 18 to accept the larger reels. Managed to destroy 2 seats already....LOL

For most VS reels and maybe others you want to use the deluxe Fuji seats. In the standard fuji seats the VS reels can sometimes wobble a little. For some reason the deluxe ones fit better. Best be is to try your reel in the seat before you mount the seat.

Thanks for all the info guys. This for the most part will be a budget build using a CPS (Cast Pro Series) 11' 2-5oz blank so no VS or ZB reel fitment/pairing to worry about. Given the feedback so far, I think I'll go with a DPSD18 and foam grips like this below but no fancy foregrip thread wraps. Still deciding on K-guides or Low-riders but I'm told this blank is similar to a CTS VT, just not the same backbone which is fine for my needs.

In regards to running guides, what size is commonly used for a 10'-11' lure rod? Is size 10 suitable using braided line? Is size 8 used often? It seems like the factory wrapped Mojo's use really small guides but for this build, I'm leaning towards size 10 using the NGC method.

i'm using k frames with size 6 ldb runners. using slick 8 30lb and have never had a problem. if you are using a shock leader that is long (more than 4 feet where the knot will pass through the guides) then i would go with larger size 8 or 10 guides depending on what lb line and leader.

I used a fuji deluxe 18 on an 11' CTS. The hoods don't cover a VS250 reel foot as much as I would like but It holds the reel without much wobble and I haven't had any issues yet.

Adding: The part number for the seat I used is a DPSD-18

I feel left out of this thread for not owning a VS or ZB, lol.

I did have another question regarding guides you have used on a similar size and rated blank. If I were to use size 10 running guides with the NGC setup, is this a good start?

KW - 30-20-16-10-10-10.....12 tip?

LC - 20-16-12-10-10-10.....12 tip?

I know a lot of it is trial and error and the total number of running guides is still to be decided. I was thinking 9-10 guides in total + tip. Anyone care to share what they've found successful on their Century, CTS VT or etc?

KW - 30-20-16-10-10-10.....12 tip

That is very close to what I used on my CTS VT 11' 3-6oz. I have 9 guides + 12tip.

I don't like going smaller than a 10 so I can pass a swivel and small clip. I also use a tip that is one size bigger than the runners like you show.

personally i like using a tip that is either same size or smaller than running guides. reason being that i feel you loose a little distance and casting accuracy on the cast. never tested it and its probably minimal. downside is you cannot pass a swivel through it. i dont like putting a swivel through the tip anyway but lots of people do.

All other things being equal, I would think the difference between a 10 and 12 tip would be minimal at best (also never tested it). I find that going one size up in tip usually aligns the ring on the tip better with the runners, especially with double foots. I remove the reels when I travel and switch between different reels & spools often enough that cutting and re-tying leaders becomes an annoyance. Being able to pass the a swivel and snap through all the guides just makes life easier for me.