Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mark d

Greenie broken foot

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

My 710 has a crack in the foot, so I'm planning for a full break some day. I think when it happens, I'll just cut off the whole foot, machine a new one, and attach it with a screw or two. I don't think there's a whole lot you can do as far as repairs.

I am far from home and will be for quite some time so photo not possible. What is alumalloy ? thks

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post

Maybe alumalloy, how about a photo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndtuttle View Post

Duct Tape! tongue.gif

Probably easiest is to find a parts reel on the Flea-Bay for $10-$15.

best

Yeah I thought of that but my reel has sentimental value so I would have liked to keep it going but your probably right. I would like to take this opportunity to thk you for the great tutorials you do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BT758 View Post

My 710 has a crack in the foot, so I'm planning for a full break some day. I think when it happens, I'll just cut off the whole foot, machine a new one, and attach it with a screw or two. I don't think there's a whole lot you can do as far as repairs.

Thks, hope yours hangs in there

Yeah I thought of that but my reel has sentimental value so I would have liked to keep it going but your probably right. I would like to take this opportunity to thk you for the great tutorials you do.

Oh, thanks for that. Hope it helps you out some. :)

Alumalloy is used with a propane torch and works like brazing on many metals. Kind of like a high strength solder that can be shaped (grind or sand or file) and painted after making the repair. Do a web search and you will find plenty of information about it. I used it to make/repair some parts on an old ss12 tractor with with a front end loader. I use it when I want to or have to fabricate differet things, for instance making an aluminum bracket for my Huminbird 798 side scan transducer to hang off the side rail of my pro angler.

It does things I can't do with my flux core 110volt mig welder.

Well you can do what they do for all broken feet: Put a cast on it!!! All kidding aside the smartest thing to do is pick up a "parts reel" on Fleabay then simply change out the housing and use your original parts -- side plates, rotor, spool, etc., etc., etc..  This  is  also going to be your  cheapest option. While you're at it you can check out the internal parts and maybe change out any worn parts if you have better ones in in the parts reel. "Amputating" the foot and adding a "prosthesis" will be "painful". By buying a "Parts Reel" and changing out only the Housing will allow your favorite reel to still keep 99% its sentimental value, plus provide you with spare parts should you need them. Sometimes finding spare parts for old reels can be difficult. Ideally, if you could find one, is acquire a NOS housing. That would indeed be THE way to go... if you can find one. I have Mitchell 302's and 402s and when I can find NOS I snap them up if the price is not too outrageous, simply because I know at some point my original 40+ year old reel that was heavily fished is going to have to have some of its parts changed. If you can pick up two "Parts Reels" for a song, then you can strip both, sort the parts, fix up the "sentimental reel",  and then take the remaining parts and build a sound, functioning backup reel,  and then toss all the worn out and broken parts in the trash can. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecduzitgood View Post

Alumalloy is used with a propane torch and works like brazing on many metals. Kind of like a high strength solder that can be shaped (grind or sand or file) and painted after making the repair. Do a web search and you will find plenty of information about it. I used it to make/repair some parts on an old ss12 tractor with with a front end loader. I use it when I want to or have to fabricate differet things, for instance making an aluminum bracket for my Huminbird 798 side scan transducer to hang off the side rail of my pro angler.

It does things I can't do with my flux core 110volt mig welder.

Thks for the info...will look into it

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertCatFish View Post

Well you can do what they do for all broken feet: Put a cast on it!!! All kidding aside the smartest thing to do is pick up a "parts reel" on Fleabay then simply change out the housing and use your original parts -- side plates, rotor, spool, etc., etc., etc..  This  is  also going to be your  cheapest option. While you're at it you can check out the internal parts and maybe change out any worn parts if you have better ones in in the parts reel. "Amputating" the foot and adding a "prosthesis" will be "painful". By buying a "Parts Reel" and changing out only the Housing will allow your favorite reel to still keep 99% its sentimental value, plus provide you with spare parts should you need them. Sometimes finding spare parts for old reels can be difficult. Ideally, if you could find one, is acquire a NOS housing. That would indeed be THE way to go... if you can find one. I have Mitchell 302's and 402s and when I can find NOS I snap them up if the price is not too outrageous, simply because I know at some point my original 40+ year old reel that was heavily fished is going to have to have some of its parts changed. If you can pick up two "Parts Reels" for a song, then you can strip both, sort the parts, fix up the "sentimental reel",  and then take the remaining parts and build a sound, functioning backup reel,  and then toss all the worn out and broken parts in the trash can. 

You are right of course. Sounds like you have a sentimental reel issue also. So I guess one needs to make sure there is a good donor match before making any transplants. Would not want to deal with rejection issues later.

Get a replacement housing or parts reel, then save and display the broken housing, celebrating it's long life of service.  Some sort of collector reel stand would work

You could do anything imagination allows:  display the broken foot portion with it, glue it back on since it won't be taking any stress, have an engraved plaque with it's years of service made and attached, or even have it bronzed like baby shoes.

The best of both worlds thus possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smead View Post

Get a replacement housing or parts reel, then save and display the broken housing, celebrating it's long life of service.  Some sort of collector reel stand would work

You could do anything imagination allows:  display the broken foot portion with it, glue it back on since it won't be taking any stress, have an engraved plaque with it's years of service made and attached, or even have it bronzed like baby shoes.

The best of both worlds thus possible.

you know I like that idea

I used JB-weld to fix a 704 rotor cup when part of the piece where the bail spring sits was broken off. Nothing fancy, just mix the two parts out of the tube and let it harden. Sanded it to shape after. Only a few bucks ar the hardware store. Maybe give that a try?