Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alaskansteve

Alaskan bush flying, short landings and takeoffs

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Awesome $hit !!! Doing that was my original intent when I got my pilots license but then I followed my dick which took me in a different direction ...

I'd have to do it illegally now :(

Lived, fished, hunted AK for a bit in the early 90's. Even with a light load into Kodiak or similar I would have needed new panties if the pilot pulled that. Amazing skills on show there...

Cool Video!

I love small planes! (wife hates them...perfect)

Don't have my license (Brianesque...that's an embarrassing analogy) have been up and dropped off/picked up by many.

Obviously you need a plane with certain attributes to even think about doing this...don't try it with tricycle gear.

Maine woods above Bangor when I was 14...drove in (to the end of the road and dropped off, canoed the rest of the way and for several months...very cool) and then flew out on a float plane. The trick that guy used when landing (you can sorta see it here) is to use the vertical distance to slow the plane in a turn and then just finish the landing on the strip (resistance of the water helps...he talks about it at the end) We were flying along not far above the treetops when without notice he banked hard left and lost a couple of hundred feet...set that thing down like a butterfly on a puddle. Of course we all 'bout sh** and one guy got out a started puking...great fun! :)