Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Emerger

How does a Loomis GL3 rate today?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Considering purchase of a used GL3 10wt for barely $100.  Already have a 6wt GL3 and like it.  For its time it was pretty fast, but by today's standards?  Looking to fish with sinking line for large calico bass to 8lbs (but they do bulldog very fast into structure) and 30 lb. west coast yellowtail this summer.  Don't want to invest huge because I don't know how often I'll use a 10 wt again.

I think the GL3 is much better than todays entry level rods. Of course I would rather it be a GLX or IMX. But for $100 and you don't mind the weight I would go for it.

For awhile Loomis had GL4 - I think that that may have taken the place of the IMX - not sure though.

Herb

Go for it. They were nice rods for the money.

I used a 6 wt for years until I broke it. A lot of coho salmon hit the beach using that stick.

Loomis had quit make the GL3 along with the GLX classic in 4 pieces, so I upgraded it. Wish I hadn't if that tells you anything. Should have just gotten a 2 pc as a replacement.

SF

Emerger,

Be careful what you wish for re "fast". Too many people confuse "fast" with recovery-speed.

The term fast simply means (to those in the industry) that a faster rod locks-up sooner (faster) when flexed by a static weight suspended from its tip.

What you really want - or should want- is a rod that flexes easily FOR YOU and has a great speed of recovery. Flex is your friend and lets you access the power of the rods mid section or butt.

A very famous fly fishing personality, and VERY expert caster has me designing and building him a moderate actioned (but fast recovery) #10 in 8'9" configuration.

All the complaints that you hear about people's #10 can't be fished all day is because of this facination with "fast" rods.

So just enjoy your new rod - Steve rajeff knew how to design rod actions. I have a 2pc GLX #10 from 12yrs ago that I don't fish because of my own builds - but it would not be considered fast by today's standards. But it's a great rod - so is the GL3 - just heavier.

Just one of my pet peeves - sorry for the soap-box speech.

Regards,

Herb

Emerger,

Be careful what you wish for re "fast". Too many people confuse "fast" with recovery-speed.

The term fast simply means (to those in the industry) that a faster rod locks-up sooner (faster) when flexed by a static weight suspended from its tip.

What you really want - or should want- is a rod that flexes easily FOR YOU and has a great speed of recovery. Flex is your friend and lets you access the power of the rods mid section or butt.

A very famous fly fishing personality, and VERY expert caster has me designing and building him a moderate actioned (but fast recovery) #10 in 8'9" configuration.

All the complaints that you hear about people's #10 can't be fished all day is because of this facination with "fast" rods.

So just enjoy your new rod - Steve rajeff knew how to design rod actions. I have a 2pc GLX #10 from 12yrs ago that I don't fish because of my own builds - but it would not be considered fast by today's standards. But it's a great rod - so is the GL3 - just heavier.

Just one of my pet peeves - sorry for the soap-box speech.

Regards,

Herb

I have the same 2 piece, 10 Wt Mdl GL3 as Herb. It is my go to 10 weight every day. I used to have a T&T Horizon but lost it. I never could tell the difference between those two 12 year old rods.

If you don't buy it. i will. RJ

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ View Post

I have the same 2 piece, 10 Wt Mdl GL3 as Herb. It is my go to 10 weight every day. I used to have a T&T Horizon but lost it. I never could tell the difference between those two 12 year old rods.

If you don't buy it. i will. RJ

What lines do you use for the 10 wt GL3?  Mine is actually a 9 foot GL3 "mega" 10/11.

Considering purchase of a used GL3 10wt for barely $100.  Already have a 6wt GL3 and like it.  For its time it was pretty fast, but by today's standards?  Looking to fish with sinking line for large calico bass to 8lbs (but they do bulldog very fast into structure) and 30 lb. west coast yellowtail this summer.  Don't want to invest huge because I don't know how often I'll use a 10 wt again.

Rods are like pants, they fit you or they don't. Try it. If you like it, buy it.