Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JettyGuy

HAVE YOU EVER ENCOUNTERED ANY CELEBRITIES WHILE FISHING FROM THE BEACH OR ON A BOAT ?

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

Living on the east end I have met a few celebrities while fishing. I met Ed Burns in a local tackle store....hell of a nice fellow. Saw Spielberg on a local beach...he's intense. Russell Simmons gave me a lecture about karma and fishing. I got into a rather heated discussion with him...he had a bodyguard,or at least a buddy, watching his back, who was about the size of a house. My favorite unexpected meeting on a local beach was with Governor Corzine of N.J....he walks up to me while I am fishing on a jetty and he has this gorgeous milfy looking lady in tow and asks me If I can recommend a good local fish restaurant. I'm staring at him trying to figure out who he is. So I blurt out "Has anyone ever told you that you could be a double for the Governor of New Jersey?" Whereupon his girlfriend starts laughing and he responds,"That's because I am him!" And,not to be outdone ,I responded with "No wonder you look like yourself !" He was very unpretentious.

Have any of you bumped into anyone of note while fishing?

yes,east hampton beaches are great for that...i cant remember their names though,,,deep south i seem to allways see celebrities,,,,now that theres a 711 in montauk you would be very surprized who walks in there....ive seen models that are 7 feet tall,lol,,that ive seen on tv or scrawny rap stars covered in ink,lol,,buying slurpies

This goes back about 10 years. I was bucktailing Shinnecock East and noticed a gray haired guy with some decent gear trying to figure out the rotation. ( not much of a crowd) Since he was not being a dick and casting over anybody I went up to him and started shooting the ****e about what was going on with the bite and maybe a 2 oz wuld be better than the 3/4 oz he had on. He got the hang of it and caught a couple. He came back the next few days caught some and then that was it, never saw him again. Got to talking with a friend and he said that the guy was Roger Watters, a la Pink Floyd! Seems his wife is from Sag Harbor.

Steven Seagal and his wife came out a few times on a party boat I was working on as a kid. You could tell he didnt care too much for fishing but his wife loved it. About five years ago I met Tred Barta in Montauk, seemed like a good guy.

Norman Lear at a fish cleaning table at Ralph's Fishing Station in Mt. Siani, heading a bushel of porgies 40 years ago. Lots of star sightings on the east end, in the 70's . None of them fishing for fish. ;)

what's a bit silly is that when these famous people pop up on the beach,in our minds we sometimes feel like we know them personally.

When I met Spielberg,it was on a bay beach at night. He was scouting for locations to film one thing or another.

I said, "How come I don't hear the music?" He said,"What music is that?" "I said the shark is coming theme,what else?"

HE MADE A BEE-LINE FOR HIS CAR....I think I scared him off.. I probably cost the town of East Hampton a hundred thousand dollars in

potential beach filming fees that night!:D

One early morning TheAmagansettCaster and I were on the bar, and looked back to see a camera crew and what we thought were models. Turns out Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova were filming a spot for the ESPN series 30 for 30, they wanted the sun coming up on the beach. We didn't meet them but chatted with the producer, and we ended up in the film (very short unidentifiable bit at the end.)

I met Kurt Vonnegut Jr. at a Pizza place in Westhampton. I was half asleep having fished all night. He was in line ahead of me. I told him he was probably one of the funniest

human beings to have ever lived. He replied that he didn't mean to be .........

In the late 70's early 80's there was a consistent spring run of BIG fish in a certain Cold Spring Harbor location, saw Billy Joel there frequently, always a gentleman and friendly. I also remember him sharing how when he was younger he would fish the harbor from the shore for bluefish during the bunker blitzes. Biggest thrill however was meeting James Caan at a private beach I was lucky enough to have access to in the Port Jefferson area. I'm casting, minding my own business when this guy walks to the water's edge smoking a cigar and asks how the fishing was. Before I could finish 'Hey aren't you.." he smiles and says no "I'm not Sonny Corleone." I'll never forget what he said next, "Hey listen, I want somebody good and I mean very good to plant that gun. I don't want my brother coming out of that toilet with just his d_ck in his hands, alright?" That was, and probably always will be, the highlight of my fishing career! Never broke 40lbs. but even if I do it won't match the thrill of a personally delivered line by James Caan from the best gangster movie ever made!