Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chefchris401

Etex How To/Plate Method

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

This is my method along with some great tips from muskeyslayer, it has helped me get super smooth epoxy with very little issues with bubbles/voids etc. got a bunch of pms about it so figured I'd sage as I've learned so much from the guys on this site

Etex How To

I start by soaking the bottles in a bowl of very hot tap water.

While those are soaking, I get my work area ready, I put down newspaper so i can just throw the whole thing away after. I use 1" foam brushes, and throw them away when I'm done.

I do the flip method, so I put a rubber coated paper on each end, with a twist on each end so they stay on. I bend the other end Into a "c"

The epoxy should be nice and warm and it will be a little thin. Which helps it mix better and lay flatter

I always mix 2 TBS in a batch and use clear cups, I don't use syringes. I always pour the black cap first to 1 TBS, let it settle to make sure it accurate measurement.

Then I pour the white cap on top of the other epoxy, it will push into the other epoxy and start the mixing process.

I mix for 4 minutes, I stir one minute clockwise, then counterwise. Making sure to scrap the sides and not mix too fast, cause you will get a lot of bubbles which are a pain to get rid of.

This is the "plate trick"

While your mixing the epoxy, use a 6" plate add some water and microwave the plate for 1 minute. Let the water sit on the plate til your done mixing.

Dump the water off. Dry the plate and then cover with a double layer of aluminum foil. You should be able to feel the heat thru the foil, it should be warm or slightly hot, not enough to burn your hand.

Pour the epoxy onto the plate, making sure to get all the epoxy out of the cup.

The warmth from the plate will help the epoxy spread out and thin out, it also helps it cure faster.

I get 5 to 6 plugs per batch of epoxy, and I only have to flip the plugs two or three times.

The results are super smooth epoxy with no bubbles and even coverage.

Hope that helps.

Another option is to add some pearl or glitter into the epoxy. I prefer the pearls as they don't require a second coat of epoxy, like some of the glitters.

Just so I'm clear, the aluminum goes on the hot plate and the epoxy goes on top of the aluminum??? 

someone i bumped into at the craft store suggested pouring the epoxy onto some aluminum shaped like a pan but said nothing about warmin it first ! Great idea.

Just so I'm clear, the aluminum goes on the hot plate and the epoxy goes on top of the aluminum??? 

someone i bumped into at the craft store suggested pouring the epoxy onto some aluminum shaped like a pan but said nothing about warmin it first ! Great idea.

Yup, that's right, the further the epoxy is spread out the more working time you have, if you leave it in the cup you'll feel the heat from the reaction, on the plate method it keeps the epoxy from curing too fast and gives you longer pot life.

Great post! I have been having a hard time getting a nice flat even coat on my lures. I will have to try this in the future. I have also seen some guys say that instead of using brushes they just put gloves on and use their fingers to spread the Etex on the lures. I was just wondering how effective this method is, if anyone has any experience with it. 

nice. I boil water in a large cup and make a bowl out of tin foil on the top with the foil hanging far over the edge. any condensation will drip down over the table. the hot steam keeps the mix like the above steps. good post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chefchris401 View Post

Yup, that's right, the further the epoxy is spread out the more working time you have, if you leave it in the cup you'll feel the heat from the reaction, on the plate method it keeps the epoxy from curing too fast and gives you longer pot life.

That's exactly what i was told ! 

Thanks again chef !

Chris

Dumb question here. I am at the point in my process for the clear coat. I have never done this before

When the epoxy is on the plate, do you place the plug on the plate and allow each "side" of the plug to be flipped onto the surface of the plate?

Thanks

Chris

Dumb question here. I am at the point in my process for the clear coat. I have never done this before

When the epoxy is on the plate, do you place the plug on the plate and allow each "side" of the plug to be flipped onto the surface of the plate?

Thanks

here is a nice thread tutorial. http://www.stripersonline.com/t/567582/you-wanna-use-epoxy-as-a-sealer