Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SMC22

Southwest Florida Flies

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Heading to Naples area for 12 days in Mid April. I know what basic fly patterns to bring but I wanted to hear what some of you guys thought. I am going to be fishing every day. I talked to a few guys who suggested I being my vice? Is this necessary? What materials should I bring? If not what patterns work well for snook, tarpon, red etc down there. How many flies should I tie up?

Any help would be great..

Thanks in advance.

Only input I can give you is a green over pink clouser size 2-1/0. It worked wonders when I was down there. Otherwise, just chat with the local, tarpon bunnys are always good, and brown/orange clousers will get the reds

Any shrimpy/crabby imitation will work but, above all, bring a handful of root beer and bright orange Clousers on a #1 or 2 with medium lead eyes.  I have a good buddy that fishes Sarasota a lot and that's the killer...but I didn't tell you that!  

I am heading down to Naples myself in the next few weeks. I fish thier every year. I love walking the beach and sight casting to snook. My most productive fly is Norm's Crystal Schminnow. I use 3D eyes on them. 1560074

Good luck.

golden ghost are around. local 66 on here gave me some good advice on flys for the back of Cocoa Beach for reds and trout-any soft hackle streamer. Never got to meet him but I assume that they would work on the west coast too. I crushed sea trout on that trip with a small half and half. good luck pal. I always like going south in April. It always seems like the weather is better here when you get back.