Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
msabella17

building roof rod racks need help

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

im looking to make my own rod racks for the top of my jeep,i have the two stock racks that cross the jeep so just looking for ideas to build on them..i know pvc pipe is something I can hold my rods with but how to strap them on is what I need help with any ideas would be a great help thanks 

There are a few threads on this.  I have a Jeep Liberty so looking at your post you already have the cross bars.  If I read it wrong and you only have the stock rails that run the sides of the roof you need cross bars!  Ebay is a great source just do a little online shopping and you will get them for a steal.  

My opinion the Hunter Rod Vault that is a great rack and well worth the money not cheap but again worth it.  If you are looking for less expensive used ski racks work great and have some locking capability.  

There are a few other ideas and pics on the other posts good luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yosco View Post

Not sure of the layout of your rack, but I made my roofrack out of pvc

and is secured with hose clamps.

theres two cross bars on the roof and they can be adjusted front and back

I put these pics on anther post but this is what my rack looks like.  I found the lockable ski racks on ebay for $20.  You will need to look for a while for that type of price but you probably can get good ski racks for under 50 bucks.  Then I added the PVC so the reel stem would stand up and I could lock up the reels if I want to run into a store or get a quick bite.

I have found that when you start building a rack you come close to spending as much as you would if you just pony up the 200 for a rod vault.

There also are many very inexpensive rod holders that just attach to your cross bars if locking your gear is not a priority.

<br />

<br />

<br />

<br />

I have found that when you start building a rack you come close to spending as much as you would if you just pony up the 200 for a rod vault.

There also are many very inexpensive rod holders that just attach to your cross bars if locking your gear is not a priority.

what he said..feel the same way

I put these pics on anther post but this is what my rack looks like.  I found the lockable ski racks on ebay for $20.  You will need to look for a while for that type of price but you probably can get good ski racks for under 50 bucks.  Then I added the PVC so the reel stem would stand up and I could lock up the reels if I want to run into a store or get a quick bite.

I really like that design. Nice work.