Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
golden

Captiva in April

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Heading to Captiva in a few weeks, and looking for a charter to get me into either Goliaths or tarpon on the beach. I know it's a bit early, but the tarpon do start to show around the beaches and passes in early april. I just don't want to get stuck with a boatride.

I'll be bringing my own stuff for night beach-fishing for sharks, and will be dropping jigs in the passes; but looking for any recommendations.

Thanks

I was out with Capt Rick DePaiva years back. He worked hard to find and keep us on tarpon all day, unfortunately they weren't in the eating mode.

Good captain. Hard working and really loves his job.

Recommended.

Hope you do well,but its way behind normal conditions now in the area, Cold for down here. Water temps are mid 60's. i have seen tarpon in the backcountry,but they were not eating for me. I have not heard of any catches in the area around Naples yet. Weather is suppose to get better next week. You may find goliaths in the bridge areas,but you know they are catch release only. JP

Thanks guys - good info here. I know Goliaths are catch and release; but they're on the list to check off ;)

Hopefully, it will warm up a bit over the next three weeks.

If staying at South Seas Resort you'll want to fish the back of the pass at the north end. (Is it a spotburn if I forget the name?) It's tough to get access if not staying there. For local reports to get the juices flowing, google Sanibel Bait Box. If you have any interest in Snook, stop there on the way onto thru Sanibel and buy Norm's book, "Snook on a Fly." Good read even if you're not a fly guy.

I was just there last week. Plenty of small tarpon around, but as other have said they just weren't feeding. Water wasn't so cold surprisingly. 66-70, but it fluctuated drastically up and down, day by day with the storms they were having, which is probably the reason they have lockjaw. My son had a small goliath take a jack at the marina early in the morning at South Seas. Wish I had video rollin'. :laugh: There were also some BIG redfish around, but they were not cooperative either. Plenty of spanish macks in the surf which can't be beat going straight from the beach to the grill with a little S&P, olive oil and lemon. I like Captiva...

If you're in the South Seas resort, rumor has it the guides that work out of that marina won't out of their way too far for resort guests because they're giving a cut back to the resort. I'd book something on your own outside the resort.

If you're in the South Seas resort, rumor has it the guides that work out of that marina won't out of their way too far for resort guests because they're giving a cut back to the resort. I'd book something on your own outside the resort.

I stayed in South Seas last July, had a great time fishing from land (made a post with a bunch of pics if anyone interested), BUT , had one of the worst guided trips ever. (booked through South Seas, at their marina). If I wasn't with my son, and a father/son we just met, I would have thrown the captian off the boat. Lazy, rude, and the haywire twist he tied came undone fighting a big tarpon. First time I didn't tip a charter. Can't remeber his name (might have mentioned it in my original pic post) . Thought he was "coming down" from something, we made sure the harbor master new our displeasure.

Not sure mentioning Redfish pass is a spot burn, one of the best known locations down there, and to have access, you either need to be in a boat, have a house on North Captiva, or be a paying South Seas guest.

As far as land based fishing opportunites, I'm not sure you can beat South Seas, and I am trying.

I stayed in South Seas last July, had a great time fishing from land (made a post with a bunch of pics if anyone interested), BUT , had one of the worst guided trips ever. (booked through South Seas, at their marina). If I wasn't with my son, and a father/son we just met, I would have thrown the captian off the boat. Lazy, rude, and the haywire twist he tied came undone fighting a big tarpon. First time I didn't tip a charter. Can't remeber his name (might have mentioned it in my original pic post) . Thought he was "coming down" from something, we made sure the harbor master new our displeasure.

Not sure mentioning Redfish pass is a spot burn, one of the best known locations down there, and to have access, you either need to be in a boat, have a house on North Captiva, or be a paying South Seas guest.

As far as land based fishing opportunites, I'm not sure you can beat South Seas, and I am trying.

There you have it. It definitely pays to do your research. Talk to the guide before booking, make sure he can accommodate what it is you want to do, etc. It only takes 1 bad trip and you start to figure out what to watch for.

I've been there a couple of times, and rented a 19' CC, which I took over to North Captiva and caught some decent snapper in the pass, and some snook in the back. Maybe I'll just stick to that plan; but I'm def going to catch and use some spanish macks for sharks