Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hp609

To those who row or have rowed...

Rate this topic

146 posts in this topic

Me and my jv eight found out today it is possible to flip a eight boat. We were the first in Atlantic City High School crew team history to do so. All of us were experienced rowers, rowing last year and me and three other sophomores in my boat competing for one or two spots in the varsity boat. Five minutes before this the varsity coach was watching us and we were complemented.

The story: We were sitting at the cache, oars squared. It was windy(10-15 offshore) and the boat took a tilt/jolt to port(im 4-seat). We all s**t ourselves and grabbed the gunnels. We were at a 180 degree angle, im hanging on to the bottom of the boat on starboard side. I look forward and see our coxswain take a pencil dive into the water because he knew we were going over. I quickly got my feet out right before it flipped. We were all in the 45 degree water. We piled into two launches and did a walk of shame at the boat house. Of course, I was the only one who lost their shoes.

Edit: One more thing...brand new, one day old cox box was destroyed. About 500 dollars gone

<br />

Happened at the green channel marker you can see through the trees

<br />

Well .... Yas all did the right thing after the wrong thing and that's the best you can hope for,,, Nobody got hurt, & the shell is still good :th:

I wish I went to that high school. Right on the water but it would be tough to skip a day and fish because the teacher could just look out the window. Sorry about the flip hp and hope you make varsity.

I was at your school when my kid played you guys a few weeks ago in the State basketball tournament.

Good Luck

If you had told me that one of you caught a crab I'd be a little more sympathetic...

How do you get a sixty five foot boat sideways like that?

You didn't have your shoes screwed in..?oh, that's right you were trying out ;).

I almost bought an asymmetrical Mad River Kevlar trip canoe once...almost.

Thought I had always wanted such a thing...super light weight, very strong...very sexy...and an unbelievable price.

Called the guy and he told me to go down to the boat house and try it out (dead of winter...ice on the water) but he did warn me...put a few cinder blocks in the front, this boat's designed to be loaded.

Gorgeous thing! barely used...a work of art. I'll be ok...I'll flip it around and kneel in the bottom...just a short little trip...I know what I'm doing (hold my beer)

I've never seen a boat flip over so fast.

Water was crystal clear...I remember looking up at the dock and surface thinking...this isn't so bad. That's when the water got past my clothes and all of the air involuntarily left me.

The guy I was with was laughing so hard he was no help at all...barely made it back in.