Fishing from a sit inside yak -

I was lucky enough to be given a used sit inside yak from a family member - it was their first they bought. It's a Prijon Yukon, about 15' in length, unfortunately no keel, but with the rudder down, it tracks nicely. I know most board members here use a sit on top to fish from, and that is my eventual goal, mounting bills will not allow that now, so this was a nice stroke of luck. Was wondering how the sit inside guys do with fishing from their crafts, and any little tricks on rigging, etc. One disadvantage I already notice is that I'm not sitting high enough to peer down into the water to do sightfishing and check out the weedbeds or structure, etc. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks -

I've got a Old Town Loon 138 Sit inside type and I love it. I actually like the idea of the SI Style over the SOT because everything I stow inside stays very dry and there seems to be mor room for storage. One thing that a found is a must if your gonna be fishing is an anchor system, the one I mounted on my yak allows me to anchor from the bow to the stern and swap sides if necessary.wink.gif I put 1 rod holder so far to see how I liked it before I add the second and so far so good, it's not in the way.wink.gif Here's a pic of the yak, it's not a very good picture but you may be able to get some idea's from it.

Yakflvw1.JPG

In front of the cockpit I bungee a portable fish finder with a suction cup transducer mount. Hope this helps.wink.gif

------------------

-----------------------

Dubs a.k.a., Charlie

dubs@stripersonline.com

Dubs

AKA: Charlie

I fish out of a Necky Looksha IV. It's a fast stable boat. I cover a lot of ground and have been out in some extreme conditions. I like the fact that I am less exposed to the elements than a SOT. The only disadvantage is returning in rough surf. You really need to know what's going on around you and you need to know how to get out of your boat fast when you land it. I have my boat set up with a fishfinder, rod holders and an achor system that is a one off of Porter's design. I have no problem seeing around me to site fish, a high quality set of polarized glasses really makes it easy. The fact that my boat is only 22" wide might help also. I'll try and get a couple pictures up on the site.

Almost all of us folks further north (MA) are fishing inside of our yaks, rather than on top of them. Doesn't seem to be much of a problem, fishwise, and it's WAY more comfortable early and late in the season.

Just a regional difference, I guess......

Thanks for the replies. I'll be looking into getting an anchor system worked out soon. I've been out on the water twice so far, and come to think of it, the first time I was able to look down into the water with my polarized glasses and see the fish, and the second time conditions were windy, so I couldn't see down into the broken window so to speak. Kind of discouraging if you like to sight fish, but a positive over a canoe is that the kayak seems to settle down into the water better with the lower center of gravity, and is therefor less affected by wind. Looking forward to learning more and more as I get out on each trip.