Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ma77h3w58

8' vs. 9' rods

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Great back bay or light rods. The 8' you can get a factory 1piece the 9 is going to be a 2 piece unless you have it built. They both have there needs depending on what your need will be.

Just a personal preference thing for most anglers, some are more comfortable with a shorter rod or may prefer fishing it due to a location that makes longer rods a pita. Today's rods are extremely lightweight , even the 10 and 11 footers weigh next to nothing , i think a lightweight 10 or 11 footer is a better all around choice for a surf rod but that's just my preference.

I have a sweet spot for rods rated 2-6 oz and a shorter back bay rod to be 8 feet in length ( my preference for both is medium heavy for the power ratings) ( any shorter than 8 feet imo has a noticeable casting disadvantage ) i still need to cast a long ways with my eight footer, the difference being just with the lighter stuff .

On a boat or dock i'm good with a 7 or 7'6. Not a major difference between 7 and 8 foot in my view but the casting edge makes the 8 my preference.

You will get different answers from everybody you ask , pick what feels right to you, not someone else.

It is preference the thing about a 1-4oz 9` rod is you can use it backbay, inlets and some what in the surf. I used a 9` 90% of the time in Block Island. I agree though a 10` or 10'6 is a all around surf rod. I think 8' gets a little short at least for hunting big bass out front.

The Op's question is a little to open ended to give a real good answer.

Yes, casting is about proper mechanics but i am assuming the OP can cast, i don't care how good a caster you are and whether you cast two handed , backwards, forwards, upside down , behind the back etc... a shorter rod is limiting and can never reach out like a longer rod can. Again we will assume the rod is being cast by Blackbeard or D.Moeskops. It comes down to physics.

Not saying a 9 footer isn't good for out front because to many it is . Once you get in the seven and eight foot range your really handicapping yourself if ultimate distance is your goal. Depending on line and lure weight you can get very solid distance with shorter rods but when i need to go really long i choose a 10'6 or better.

Longer rods are generally longer-casting and better for holding the line up out of waves, rocks, etc. Eight foot rods are easier for working Sluggos Steve McKenna-style.

What's the application?

One advantage for an 8 footer is versatility. I have one rod that covers 85% of my fishing. Now, what is my fishing?

I am 50/50 boat/surf from Narragansett to Cape May. Fluke/albie/striper/blue/sea bass AND the almighty sea robin. I typically do not bait fish from shore.

My 8 footer, loaded with 30' braid can throw #2 clarks, small redfins (light) to 2 1/4 oz. poppers. The rod is rated to 17#. I have caught a 40# striper on a snagged adult bunker with it. That was on a boat and it took everything the rod had and a good bit of luck. I have caught nice size stripers at deep hole when I'm up to my waist in water. I have caught numerous bluefish up to 14#.

I will not go bigger for a boat. So, the 8 footer is a tweener versatile rod.

The 9 footer (say equal construction between rods) will get you out farther and will handle heavier lures.

Quote:

Originally Posted by windknot View Post

What's the application?

One advantage for an 8 footer is versatility. I have one rod that covers 85% of my fishing. Now, what is my fishing?

I am 50/50 boat/surf from Narragansett to Cape May. Fluke/albie/striper/blue/sea bass AND the almighty sea robin. I typically do not bait fish from shore.

My 8 footer, loaded with 30' braid can throw #2 clarks, small redfins (light) to 2 1/4 oz. poppers. The rod is rated to 17#. I have caught a 40# striper on a snagged adult bunker with it. That was on a boat and it took everything the rod had and a good bit of luck. I have caught nice size stripers at deep hole when I'm up to my waist in water. I have caught numerous bluefish up to 14#.

I will not go bigger for a boat. So, the 8 footer is a tweener versatile rod.

The 9 footer (say equal construction between rods) will get you out farther and will handle heavier lures.

this is exactly like me thank you so much. What if i did a 9' rod for the surf and 7' rod for the boats

Quote:

Originally Posted by ma77h3w58 View Post

this is exactly like me thank you so much. What if i did a 9' rod for the surf and 7' rod for the boats

I am one of those guys who draws the line at 7ft....I use 10-11ft for surfcast, and 6-7ft for everything else for the most part. My 7ft rods put me where I want for most applications, and my surf rod I use for distance. Might have something to do with my 7ft one pieces fit in my car too :)))

That works. But I'm lazy and cheap. One rod. One piece.

A 9 footer for the surf is dandy. Are you confortable throwing the bombers? Do you walk 2 miles casting 1000 times? If your comfortable with that, then go for it.

7 footer for the boat... Ok, no problem. Are you looking for a rod that can throw .75 oz to 3 oz? I guess there are 7 footers out there that can.

Ok, full disclosure....

St Croix Ben Doerr SS80M (kinda retired, replaced by)...

St Croix Premier PRS80M. My #1 usage. Matched with a Saragosa 4000. Its a small reel but light.

Rainshadow 10' My 3 oz heaver. Matched with Emblem Pro 8000.

Tica 10' 2 piece (when I think I need a little more juice on the surf). This 10 footer does ok throwing bombers but more matched for 2 oz.

The above listed are all spinners.

Conventional:

Gator 9 footer. (fiberglass bridge stick).

Chaos 7 foot pool cue for bait fishing from boat (think black drum).

My next rod will be a 7' spinner rated to 40# minimum for the boat. This will be for snagging bunker (did it with the PRS80M but a wee bit under gunned), casting and lifting fish on a party boat and for working 3 to 5 oz plugs. I guess I'm looking for a musky rod.