Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wishing I was Fishing

New KAyak?

17 posts in this topic

Thinking of buying a Kayak. want A two man, I think, this way the other half ca come out on occasion.Also good for friends.

So what do you guys think? one man or two man is better.

Also any reccomendations? Saw some nice ones by ocean kayak. Not sure of their rep.

What's better? sit in or sit on?

Plan on using this thing in the saltwater, mostly in Raritan Bay but also in the back bays of Cape May county.Might use it once or twice a year on fresh water.you know ,do the rapids thing.

Any help is appreciated.

Wishing I was in the same situation.Gonna buy another yak .I will have 2 .Then in the spring I will get one for my 8 yr old son.JonS sells Cobra yaks you can see them online .Even if you dont buy a cobra talk to JonS he his our yak guru .He usally has every accessory you could want.He is also close by.Just dont buy the Tourer from him .Santa has to test paddle it for me biggrin.gif

joev

Definitely go for the solo SOT.

You'll more than likely spend most of your time out on your own like I do.

For the occasional guest, you're better off getting the single and/or buying 2.

You give up a lot of maneuverability and speed w/the tandem.

Although Flounder uses a tandem and he seems to be totally happy!

Try them both, then decide.

DASBOOTbiggrin.gif

I've never been called a guru before. Just a little bit further up the learning curve than some others.

Wishing - I agree with the others. You're much better off with 2 kayaks. Flounder uses a Tandem as a single because he's a big man. His weight needs a kayak that's set up to handle the weight. That's why some guys use tandems as singles. Its also the reason Cobra came out with the FnD (FishnDive), which is set up single on a tandem hull.

OKs are good kayaks. I prefer Cobras but I have access to OKs also. An important factor in choosing a kayak is your height, weight and inseam measurement. If you'd like to paddle some yaks let me know. I have 4 demos.

Back to getting 2 yaks. Its so much more fun not to be in the same yak. It allows fredom of movement, and you can also take a buddy along, which seems to happen more often than the spouse coming along. The wives don't get out nearly as often and why have the handicap of a tandem, especially in fast water/rapids.

Don't make the mistake of buying a double! Great thought but doesn't work.... You will want to get out more than anyone else after your first fish and one person in a double is lot'sa work. Besides that, I have all kinds of friends that made the double call and they now have the most pristine yaks around (never get wet). I have three yak in the family and am looking to get at least one more. This works out great because anytime we have house guests or just want to do touring with new folk, there is always a yak to go around. Also, work with Jon S on the choice... he has the most experience with the different types/brands of yaks but don't discount my Pungo- very stable and big cockpit.

Great time to buy a yak as xmas gifts could be all those extras that you'll need when you start the fishin thang,

dougie v

Wishing - I have a feeling that you're not getting a double now wink.gif . As to the most experience, I beg to differ. I know Cobras well and some OKs. I've paddled a lot of kayaks but just paddling and living with one are 2 different things. It takes some time to learn/know a kayak, especially when you first start out. Also in the beginning its like riding a bike. Its awkward but very quickly yoiu adjust. Every model has its idiosyncracies. Things you'll love about it and things you'd change. So many factors come into play. Not only the physical properties of the yak, but your physical composition too. Then you add the different environments that one can fish and that adds an additional set of criteria. There's a post I wrote recently on this board entitled "Your First Yak". I disucus in greater detail all of these things. Its worth reading.

[This message has been edited by JonS (edited 12-12-2001).]

Wishing,

I have four yaks now and have been doing this since thanksgiving of '98, yup, was cutting ice in my new yak in a local pond. Another gentleman here, Santiago II also has four boats. We've paddled a fair bit in Florida, the Sound, The Hudson river, and local sweetwater ponds.

My inventory. First is my goto yak...it's the Perception Swing, SOT, fast, stable, good looking, easily maneuvered on, ie sit sideways and move up and down the boat. Very handy in big water for stretching. The nicest part for me, as a big man, is the seated area has very flowing edges, no abrupt sides like the scupper. I really like this boat.

Second is the OK Frenzy. It's portable, can toss it on the plane for 50 bucks and be in florida in four hours. Not good for long paddling, great/a blast in the surf, we test paddled in f-6 footers in Jupiter Fl. Perfect for my 6 and 8 year old sons.

My third is the Perception America die inside. Great for Spring Stripers as I'm always dry. Not a surf boat. Very comfy with good back support.

Finally is my new Malibu Two. This is purely a play yak, for the family, may try some fishing from it, but with two boy's and wife expressing interest, it was a solid fourth choice.

Going to Florida next summer for Disney and will take the malibu and swing. Something for play and something for fishing.

Definitely get out and test paddle. There's a guy up my way with a outdoor business and a small pond, he has different boats than JonS, just another style to try out. You won't go wrong starting though, you just may go through a few boats. It's all about compromise. My 2cents. ScottO

The most important thing is to get a kayak that fishes well. Check out what others are using and give these models greater consideration. If you get a popular yak and purchase it properly you will actually have something that will provide you with tremendous pleasure and retain all of its value. Now's a great time to buy. Selection isn't as great but the values are.

My first kayak was a mistake but fortunately I got it direct from the factory through a friend. I actually paid less than a dealer so I didn't loose money in the process. I was fortunate. If I had paid full retail I would have lost some significant money. My second kayak was a Cobra Explorer and so was my 3rd. The second Explorer was bought because I wanted a yak to take friends along. Then I started a business setting up yaks for fishing with a friend who is a kayak dealer. He had turned me onto Cobra and I got my first Explorer from him. I decided to sell the first Explorer since I didn't need 2 because I was going to have each of 4 models as demos and could use any of them. It retained its value. When I sold it in the season I had 19 people respond to my add here on SOL alone. The first gent on the list bought it from me. It was easy. I don't fish an Explorer as much as I use to but its still my #1 choice for tight rivers or bigger surf. Its nice and light and the price is good. Very popular and easy to sell. Great first yak.

So, my advise to you is to do your research, purchase in the off season, and get fishing. Your first yak may not be the one that you have next summer, but you'll have a blast figuring it out.

wiwf, Two kayaks are generally better than a tandem when it will be you and your wife. When you will be going with a young child a lot of my customers prefer a tandem. If you are a very big man (250lbs+) you will need a tandem or fish and dive. Normally you can buy two singles for a little more than the price of a tandem. But this is the offseason and we are overstocked on tandems. We are selling them as low as $650 right now complete with two paddles and two surf to summit highback seats. There is no way you are going to get two singles for that kind of money.

barrell www.rbbsurf.com

I used to take the wife lake fishing in my canoe. She started to take over my little world of fishing. Now I have a one seater kyyak. Life is beautiful again. My only regret in life is why did I wait til I was 50 to get a kyyak.

Glazehead - at least you got one. That's the major theme with kayak fisherman. We're thrilled that we got yaks and into the sport. We just wish that it had been sooner.

Ok I get the message, a single yak is better than a double.But and here is the big but, I'n a biggun> I'm 6'5 and weigh about 250. Inseam is 36 inches.

So I guess I need a tandem or do I. And if i get a tandem can i still take out a friend?

I'm getting confused.

Wishin , Head down to the closest dealer and take a look.They will let ya sit in one.I think Jons said that the Cobras had a little more leg room in them.You just gotta try them on for size.As for buddys you got a whole network of buddys here to fish with.We all have yaks to.So dont worry about that.Lots of guys from NY and NJ.As JonS said just do it.

joev

[This message has been edited by joev (edited 12-13-2001).]