Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigbuck28

Pouring rubber adding powder color

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Ok im just getting into pouring my own baits and a few questions for the pros.

I have 5 gallons of the 550 extra strength and a bunch of powder coloring.

My questions are

~How do i know how much powder coloring to add to achieve my color? I am trying to make Arkansas shiner swim baits?

~Do i need to add hardener to these as there extra strength and made for salt water?

Any other tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated, Ive been reading all the past threads. I just ordered lurecrafts pouring rubber DVD as well.

I'm certainly no pro with soft plastics, but here is how I do it. Coloring is a personal thing. Mix in a bit of powder, then check the color to see if is what you want. If not, add a bit more powder. I'll sometimes pour a bait, check to see if the color is right and go from there. You can remelt the ones that are not right. The extra strength plastic has worked well for me without any hardener. You want some softness for action.

Jigman

first make sure the plastic is WELL mixed and there is no residue on the bottom ........... different manufacturers have different sediment concerns.

Second, I would heat the plastic and add the color until you get the right color and then pour. I assume you are using a microwave and Pyrex measuring cup. Some say to mix in with the plastic before heating. I think after because it goes from white to clear and I believe you get more accurate coloring just before you pour ...... others will disagree.

Make sure the powder dye isn't the powder paint you use to paint the jigs ....... not sure how that would work but I somehow thisk that would be a problem if it is. Most of the powder stuff is dye.

And ........ make sure you use gloves, eye protection and long sleved shirts and long pants at least ....... that stuff will cause permanent damage if it gets on you .......

You shouldn't need hardner ........ it's already been added to the formula ........... hard is more durable but the softer usually gives more action ......... generally that is .......

Like mentioned above make sure it is mixed well.

A few friends and I split a 5 gallon bucket and used a paint mixer to mix the 5 gallons then divided it into 5 1 gallon jugs which could be used by hand.

I also added hardener even though I used the saltwater formula. I forget the ration but I can check when I'm home.

For powder I just mixed from a spoon as I went along.

Thanks guys for the replies, Im going to attempt my first pours tomw.

The colors i selected where in the powders and some were in the dies but they are def not the powdercoat for the jigs.

It seems like every video out there they used the liquid coloring. Lurecraft had half my colors in "powders" but ill try and see what happens.

The powder is a dye .......... just be REAL careful you don't breathe it in ........ usually it is really fine ..... like a dust and easily breathed in if you are not wearing a mask ...... the dye powder is really nice too.

Just poured my first 9" pearl white bait and it came out awesome!!! So pumped it worked well...and i hear yah on the powder dye i opened it and it looked like it was snowing! LOL:D

The powder is a dye .......... just be REAL careful you don't breathe it in ........ usually it is really fine ..... like a dust and easily breathed in if you are not wearing a mask ...... the dye powder is really nice too.

Just poured my first 9" pearl white bait and it came out awesome!!! So pumped it worked well...and i hear yah on the powder dye i opened it and it looked like it was snowing! LOL:D

I meant liquid dye

good stuff, Buck. What are you using for a mold?

My first 2! I was trying to go for an olive and pearl bait but the olive blended in and mixed on the second one ....Any suggestions?

Town- Im using a mold i bought somewhere online, one of the lure making sites.