Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
atlantictrader

Best 10'6" Rod Match for a 7000 Series Conventional Reel?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Looking for surf rod recommendations from people who fish the surf with conventional reels. Need a 10'6" 1 piece rod to pair up with the Abu and Akios 7000 series reels I just acquired. The rod to stay within the following specs if possible:

• One piece 10'6" graphite with reel seat

• Line weight 15-30

• Medium-fast action (taper)

• Lure weight 1-4 oz. or 1-5 oz

• Low profile K guides

Price is dependent on the quality of materials. I generally stay in a moderate price range like the Lami Surf & Jetty, Ron Arra, or Tri-Flex series.

I own a Lami Surf & Jetty XS 1061 PP (spinning) and like the weight and action, but the Ron Arra Pro Surf XSRA 1261 MH (spinning) I have is too stiff, and the blank is heavier than I like to cast.

I'd also be willing to go custom if the blank meets the right specs.

In my opinion the 7000 series reel is not a good match for a 10'6' 1-4 oz. set-up. I assume you will be using it for plugging or eels. Even with a magged reel you are going to have control problems w/ a 7000 at that weight range. For a 10'6" with a rating of 1-4,5 oz you are better off with a 6500 series.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt Striper View Post

In my opinion the 7000 series reel is not a good match for a 10'6' 1-4 oz. set-up. I assume you will be using it for plugging or eels. Even with a magged reel you are going to have control problems w/ a 7000 at that weight range. For a 10'6" with a rating of 1-4,5 oz you are better off with a 6500 series.

I also have a 6600C5 Mag X that seems quite small to put on a 10' 6" surf rod.<br />

Quote:

Originally Posted by gray gables View Post

a conventional rod with k guides headscratch.gif

Yes...a conventional reel on a bait casting rod with Fuji K series guides. The guides are marketed as "tangle free", which remains to be seen by me because I've never had a rod with them on it.

Fuji primarily offered them for spinning rods Recently saw a local tackle shop rod distributor deliver some two piece conventional surf rods that had low profile Fuji K guides.

<br />

I also have a 6600C5 Mag X that seems quite small to put on a 10' 6" surf rod.1000

A 65-6600 size is perfect for the rod you are looking for. 7000 series is a good size reel and is great for weight and bait, it is not known for throwing lighter 1-4 oz. very well. As far as K-guides on a conventional rod, no problem and it's the way I built my last 11' rod. K's to single foot L's.