It's cod time.

Rate this topic

bob_G

I did some cod trips last year.It was pretty new for me.I have to say fishing on a boat full of fisherman pulling up just legal size cod from 300 feet plus was not the most fun I have had fishing.A few of the trips were very chilly as well with a long boat ride there and back.I will skip the trips this year that have over 6 people,its just not my thing.Trying to catch a cod from the shore sounds much more fun to me.

I have to agree with hfs on the trip and the crowd. It's not my favorite but I always have fun hooking up and the party boats I always have luck and its been a long cold winter and my freezer is empty. So even if its some just legal cod or pollock I will take it. Last year I landed a slob of a pollock winning the pool and that one filled my cooler. It was tough getting it up out of 300 feet of water. 

Back in the day I started surf fishing for cod at Plum Island the weekend before Easter. I would bring my 6 & 7 year old daughter and build a fire. An old timer taught me when and how to fish and he was accurate to the 15 minute mark. I would start with two rods but once the fish started it was only possible to keep one rod in action. I would catch cod foe five straight weekends. Biggest one I caught weighed in at 36+ ilbs. IMy catch was the talk of the beach. Fed my family and siblings' families and neighbors for a few months on the fillets I froze. Then the fish disappeared and it has been 35 years since I fished there. After the storms I do not recognize the locations I fished. Would love to know if it is worth surffishing around Hull or the East End of the canal for Cod now?

How do you fish for cod from shore? Bait, jigs, bucktails? On the bottom I presume.

40 years ago when there were plenty of cod around, we used to get them on 3-4oz bucktails tipped with fresh local conch or sea clam, jigged like you would for bass. Eel skins were super deadly too. Cod loved em.

But it was tough to beat a sea worm, sea clam or plain old fresh steamer clam on the bottom at slack tide. Esp at night.

The Sultan of Sluggo