Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billybob

I wonder how the regina is doin?

Rate this topic

185 posts in this topic

"I wonder how the regina is doin?"

Not good......:(

Yesterday I tested the air temp sensor, and it reacted to an ohm meter just the way it should, perfect resistance reading at 68 degrees, resistance dropped as I heated it with a hair dryer, and resistance increased after sitting in the freezer for a bit. So that is not the issue.

I put the O2 sensor back in, and at first I thought that helped, but that was just wishful thinking.

Tested the coil, and that was fine.

Sprayed some starter fluid around the vacuum hoses to see if I missed a bad one, still no dice.

So I was out of ideas and gave up.........."limped" around this AM driving the 60 miles or so for work, and then took it to the mechanic and talked with him for a bit. He can't take it in until Friday, so we'll have to wait until then to see what he finds.

About only things left are the Throttle Position Switch, the Knock Sensor (highly unlikely either is bad), the Idle Control Valve/ Sensor, the RPM sensor (if it even has one, which I don't think this system does) or maybe a bad ECU.

Suppose it could be a fuel filter or the external fuel pump (the in-tank fuel pump was replaced about 2 years ago), but the symptoms don't point to that. Maybe a couple of bad injectors, but again, the symptoms don't seem to point that way.

So I guess we gotta wait to sometime Friday to find out what he finds.............

could be a couple hours labor to figure it out at a 100 per plus parts (was it a 95 volvo), get a cheap Kia or some crap for 150 a month and then dump it after two years

Fuel filter is never a bad thing to replace in a late model car that you don't know if it was ever replaced. Another sneaky little nightmare on older cars: TIMING BELT. Get her running smoove and have your pistons eat your valves. Unless you know you have a non-interference motor.

could be a couple hours labor to figure it out at a 100 per plus parts (was it a 95 volvo), get a cheap Kia or some crap for 150 a month and then dump it after two years

I told him spend an hour on it at $60/hr to diagnose. After that it is gonna depend what he finds and whether he will fix it (and will get credit for the $60), or I will, or not at all if it ends up being major $$$$$$.

$150 a month? :laugh: I bought this car 5-6 years ago for $800............. it has served me well........if need be, I will find another deal similar........

Fuel filter is never a bad thing to replace in a late model car that you don't know if it was ever replaced. Another sneaky little nightmare on older cars: TIMING BELT. Get her running smoove and have your pistons eat your valves. Unless you know you have a non-interference motor.

Timing belt was replaced not so long ago, and yes, it is non-interference.....shoot, THAT would be easy on this car, as the timing belt, unlike other things, is "right there" under a plastic cover that takes about 5 minutes to remove and maybe another 45 minutes to remove the belt and replace. (I know, I have done it.....;))