Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Otshawytsha

The Most Accurately Rated Bands Ever

Rate this topic

126 posts in this topic

These bands get just as much plaudits and attention as they deserve, no more, no less. Maybe focus on the good ones rather than the crappy ones, who are duly and justly forgotten or trampled upon in the dust of the music history bin.

The Clash: great band, each album pushing into new sonic territory, came in as punks and basically sold out right away, not hidebound to any movement. Came to incorporate soul, funk, rap, rockabilly, reggae, all that stuff into five albums. Each of their albums could justifiably be your favorite album, they all sound different from each other and they are all great.

Made two double albums. One of them, London Calling, is one of the greatest of all time. The other, Sandinista, isn't even a double album: I think it's a three of four disc album, and it has only one or two songs you might hear on the radio, but it's a great album in the vein of Exile on Main street.

The Clash are pretty well regarded but you never hear them on the radio except for their coupla hits off Combat Rock. I think they are about fairly rated. London Calling ends up at tops of all the best album lists.

The Go-Go's

Wiki:

Formed in Los Angeles, California in 1978, the Go-Go's initially consisted of Belinda Carlisle (vocals), Jane Wiedlin (guitar, vocals), Margot Olavarria (bass), and Elissa Bello (drums).

The Go-Go’s are an all-female American rock band formed in 1978.[1] They made history as the first all-female band that both wrote their own songs and played their own instruments to top the Billboard album charts.[2]

The Go-Go's rose to fame during the early 1980s. Their debut album, Beauty and the Beat, is considered one of the "cornerstone albums of (US) new wave" (Allmusic), breaking barriers and paving the way for a host of other new American acts. When the album was released, it steadily climbed the Billboard 200 chart, ultimately reaching number one, where it remained for six consecutive weeks. The LP sold in excess of three million copies and reached triple platinum status, making it one of the most successful debut albums ever. The Go-Go's have sold more than seven million albums.[3]

The Band.

No way. Totally overrated. They are a great band in the sense of the historical issue: backing up dylan. They had a few hits. They were part of that whole roots rock movement in the early 70's. But they aren't the geniuses they purport to be.

As an aside, the Last Waltz is hilarious. Every shot contains Robbie Robertson. Man, what a diva.

The Band played a big role in determining the direction of rock--or they were just in the right place when the wave came ashore and washed over them--but their music is so boring and unexciting. They are important to musicians and others but no one cares. NO ONE CARES!

No way. Totally overrated. They are a great band in the sense of the historical issue: backing up dylan. They had a few hits. They were part of that whole roots rock movement in the early 70's. But they aren't the geniuses they purport to be.

As an aside, the Last Waltz is hilarious. Every shot contains Robbie Robertson. Man, what a diva.

Couldn't disagree more... except about Robbie. He's a chiseler.

Listen in entirety and report back.

Couldn't disagree more... except about Robbie. He's a chiseler.

Listen in entirety and report back.

I'll take you up on that challenge. I have listened to a lot of their stuff but never owned an album.

Bon Jovi is an overated band. They don't belong in this thread, by way of comparison.

I'll take you up on that challenge. I have listened to a lot of their stuff but never owned an album.

Bon Jovi is an overated band. They don't belong in this thread, by way of comparison.

:th:

btw - you were spot-on with the Clash.

Robbie had his guitar bronzed for the show. The next time you watch it, see him sweat his balls off. He was a prick and a junkie but he got it together. Levon was a gem of a guy. History is important.

Spinal Tap

Spinal Tap might be underrated in terms of the quality of their songs and such, which are pretty great. As a comedic band, they are justly celebrated as being great satirists.

I think the reactions to the Beatles in the other thread was a pretty accurate representation.

I could identify with both sides of the argument.

I'm going with Sparky on this one :th:

Clapton heard the acetate of Big Pink and quit Cream.

But then again, Clapton didn't have a whole lot of original thoughts.