Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tony C58

Is it Needed?

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

OK I'm getting impatient waiting for Spring to come but I have a question, is a Boga needed or necessary if I'm just fishing the ditch primarily?  I don't own a boat so I'll be mostly along the rocks. Just trying to get everything complete with my gear.

If you don't care about getting a weight the plastic lip grippers work just as well. Not necessary, but either one may save you from getting a hook buried in your hand.

95% the guys that I know either lip a bass and grasp a blue from behind the shoulders to remove the hook using the other hand. I've always done the same.....never used a lip gripper.

That said, I've always admired what Fizzy Fish uses. Its a plastic lip gripper as ED described. FF says he absolutely loves it.

Well that was one of the reasons why I was asking, price is steep.  I have a strong pair of locking surgical hemostats that I could use if I didn't want to shell out $120.  I just didn't know what most guys use.  I'm guessing it might be more necessary with blues than stripers.  The plastic option makes sense too.  Please understand that I haven't yet caught a striper over 20 lbs so I will be keeping track this spring.wink.gif

It's nice to be able to get a quick weight. It supposedly isn't good for the innards of the bigger fish to be held up by their jaw though.

The smallish stripers are the ones that usually give me trouble unhooking. They always seem to have one treble free (when using more than one on the lure) and are full of piss and vinegar. Just when you think you're got them immobilized they somehow flop and get that treble swinging. I got hooks through the back of my glove several times last season, but thankfully none found flesh.

I bought a cheap knock off a couple of years ago for $20 and it works great and hasnt shown any rust yet. Scale is to 50# and we checked it last year with a 30 # dumbell and it showed 29. so overall it has been a good investment and makes landing fish alot easier.

Basspro has a pretty nice one with a scale for about $20. A friend gave me one but I rarely carry it. Manley's on the belt and a pair of needlenose in the bag in case someone swallows the whole plug. Another reason to remove the tail hook from your SP Minnows

Needed? Absolutely not.

Helpful? Can be, not necessary if you don't care about weight. The reason the Boga's are so expensive is they don't really rust too much, they are considered an IGFA certified scale, and are damn accurate to boot. I have the cheap $20 knock off. Problem is, I often forget that I have it on the belt, and the following happens:

Clarification on the Boga IGFA certification, Only after you have shipped it to them and it is tested by the IGFA will it be certified. Any hand held scale can be submitted for certification. some will not meet the standard.

that hurts just looking at it; )!