Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
acichon

Pencil Popper Question

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Some pencil poppers have a round bottoms and others are flat.  I assume the flat bottoms create more splash than a rounded bottom.  Is there any other purpose for the different bottoms?  Is one type preferred more in a certain condition than the other?

Thanks. 

Flat bottom pencils are often used in current areas and are sometimes weighed so that they'll sink. The flat bottom helps them to come up top easier.

Jigman

Flat bottom canal style pencils were designed to bring heavily weighted for distance casting fast sinking pencils to the surface quicker after they land. They have more of a straight up and down splashing action, less side to side walking the dog style action. Round bottoms are generally floaters, usually just with the tip of the nose above the surface at rest and their action is more of a side to side walk the dog action than flat bottoms.

Plus something with a flat planing bottom is a whole lot less likely to go on "spin cycle" and thoroughly trash your line up. Probably not as big a deal with braid though.

Flat bottom pencils are often used in current areas and are sometimes weighed so that they'll sink. The flat bottom helps them to come up top easier.

Jigman

Jig is right in conventional thought of a flat bottom pencil but,

some flat bottom ones are built with less weight and used to slide more than a normal body. Everything you do to a plug does something. Understanding what you want it to do, in what kind of conditions is the most important aspect of your build. Even the shape of the flat bottom you put on your pencil will give you a different spin on your plugs ability.

One of the best things you can do is sit down and right down what you want that plug to do. Then come up with idea's to accomplish what you want.

I like that Winch! I build both round and flat bottom "Canal" pencils. They both float, walk the dog, POP as well as splash and they are both bigger than my standard size pencil. For me it's just a matter of weighting. Because of their size and weighting they cast as well as the heavier sinking types. That being said...the flat bottom do "slide" slightly more. But I gotta say you will have had to look at a crap load of pencils to notice the increased slide of the flat bottom. It's slight and I'm not too sure if it makes a whole lot of difference. As far as at rest in the water the flat obviously sits lower...there's less of it! :D