Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jpiercy13

wading belt

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

got a gift certificate to bass pro shops and was thinking of ordering their wading belt.  Is it necessary to have for surf.  Have just used my pockets in my jacket but what about when it gets warm in summer. 

Here is their stores belt.  Its the only one they sell.

http://www.************/FishNHunt-WalkNWade-Professional-Fishing-Belts/product/10209889/

It comes in narrow or wide.  Don't know which one to choose if this is a good belt.

Any feedback or recomendations would be great.

That model seems to be more geared to light freshwater type fishing / wading.. If you plan on wading in the salt - surf or bay I would suggest to get a better quality belt system from a number of different makers on the market and sold at your local bait and tackles shops at the shore.. Aquaskinz, MAK Angler to name a couple as these have both the Velcro and Bucket type systems to keep it secure around your waist and they also have the accessories like D-Rings and Pouches etc.,,to outfit it.. Once you start using one you will find it much easier to carry your gear needed to work the areas you like to fish ..

Steve

your nearest scuba diving shop will have belts.  they are stiff, thin so it wont take up a lot of space,  wide profile so it will lay on your body more evenly and cheaper than what you will buy at any other store. they usually come separate from the buckles. a hard plastic one is good enough although some prefer the metal buckle for added durability. a little more expensive but worth it if you are a wet suiter and swim out to boulders to stand on.   i think mine was about 10-15 bucks with the plastic buckle.. just find a way to hook what you need on it and your good. aquaskins makes a bunch of ammenitites to add to your belt. just dont buy their belt. too bulky/stiff/expensive in comparison.   makes my trips a hell of a lot easier as i dont like having to carry a lot in my hands/pockets etc.

Check out the ultimate surf belt (google it) you won't be sorry and you will never have to worry about it breaking or coming off

This is the only belt I am confident recommending to people. The buckle system plus the backup velcro system ensures it's never coming off unless you intentionally take it off. Pricey but worth it when safety is at stake. I've been swept a few times and also heard some real horror stories about guys losing belts in rough surf.

This is the only belt I am confident recommending to people. The buckle system plus the backup velcro system ensures it's never coming off unless you intentionally take it off. Pricey but worth it when safety is at stake. I've been swept a few times and also heard some real horror stories about guys losing belts in rough surf.

Agreed, and it's really not much more than the as, mak, etc. plastic buckles make me nervous...

Quote:

Originally Posted by j0k3r View Post

Thanks everyone.  I will look into more.  Their version is velcro.   It had a lot of extras that i already have but not with the convenience of getting to it that the belt has.   Always digging into pockets

But how does it make you safer.  What am i not understanding with the safety issue.

Thanks everyone.  I will look into more.  Their version is velcro.   It had a lot of extras that i already have but not with the convenience of getting to it that the belt has.   Always digging into pockets

But how does it make you safer.  What am i not understanding with the safety issue.

It makes you safer bc it will stay on and closed. This will minimize the amount of water that will get into your waders. Also, if someone needs to grab you (to pull u up a jetty for instance) it won't give. It has a stainless buckle which wont crack if you fall on a rock along with Velcro closure. Best belt you can buy IMO. Also, you don't want it to come off if you carry lots of items on ur belt. Bogas, pliers, plug bags n plugs can add up quick. The guy who makes them had this happen which is why he makes them. Made in USA too. Just google ultimate surf belt.

chumshot---thanks for the reply.  never thought of water into waders before.  So thats why i am wet sometimes.  I have checked so many times for leaks and could not find one. 

And never thought of getting pulled by it.  It all makes sense now

It makes you safer bc it will stay on and closed. This will minimize the amount of water that will get into your waders. Also, if someone needs to grab you (to pull u up a jetty for instance) it won't give. It has a stainless buckle which wont crack if you fall on a rock along with Velcro closure. Best belt you can buy IMO. Also, you don't want it to come off if you carry lots of items on ur belt. Bogas, pliers, plug bags n plugs can add up quick. The guy who makes them had this happen which is why he makes them. Made in USA too. Just google ultimate surf belt.

No prob bud. Obviously hopefully you never find yourself in either of those scenarios but if you do it give you a little more piece of mind. I know it does for me.

Good info ChumShot. What's the NM on your location, don't tell me New Mexico.