Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Abruzzese

Mitchell 402 - Wobble

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

So I picked up a Mitchell 402 off an "auction website" with the intent to bring it back to a new life.  Standard drilling of the rotor cup/spool, installing a crosswind cam, and manual pickup.  Before I started tearing it apart, I noticed a few things.  First the spool appears to have some vertical play in it. 1/4" or so. Is this normal?  Also the rotor cup appears to have a wobble to it.  I found the axle is straight, and the counterweight is installed.  What is the cause of this wobble, and how can it fixed?  Any help to a Mitchell newbie would be appreciated.

Turn the reel and look at the back of the cup from the side if you see it moving back and forth as it spins it could be bent. Now if you spin the reel and it feels out of balance giving you that wobble feeling it might have the wrong counter weight assuming the weight is removable...hope this helps.

Thanks Mitchell Master.  Confirmed a bent rotor cup as the cause of the wobble when I got back from work today. The tear down also revealed 3 stripped teeth on the main drive gear.  This one is going to be fun.  Guess I can use the existing rotor cup to practice, before drilling an NOS rotor cup.