Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Recommend some websites for me

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I gotta do more reading about PCs and operating systems and stuff. I know squat.

I used to read CNET fairly regularly, but they've expanded their reach far beyond their original core competence to anything with a chip in it - cameras, cars, whatnot. PCMagazine is a sad shadow of its' old self, in print and online, and PC World is worse. And I'm indifferent to the gamers whose interests drive most coverage.

Thank you. Since my fist post, I've been thrashing around a bit, and tripped over ZDnet. That's a start ....Wikipedia has an article on Win8 which I will have to revisit a couple dozen times or more, and click on all the links to articles defining particular terms. Tom's Hardware, Extremetech, Anandtech, all coming up.

CNet got bought out by CBS and they're nothing but an advertising shill now. They've been responsible for the awards at CES for quite awhile. This year the writers/editors selected DISH's Hopper for best in show, Les Moonves got wind of it and made them select something else. He's fighting with DISH over the Hopper's auto commercial skip technology. One CNet writer quit but the rest folded like a cheap tent.

I'd look ANYWHERE but CNet.

Well, the censor ate any weblinks, but that's OK. Got enough reading to keep me occupied.

As it happens, I just got an email that wasn't from the family member from whom it purported to come. I think I got it .... not at all sure. HP sent an email advising that all users of specified printers, like me, must immediately upgrade the printer firmware because it's being exploited. The black blob of dead pixels on my laptop is growing, and while I like the Win7 environment fine and DON"T like touchscreen systems, Win8 is apparently more resistant to tampering.

Depending on the likely price of fixing my dying screen on the laptop, a Win8 laptop may be in my future. Soon.