Are there any stripers available in the commercial market now?

Rate this topic

Paul_M

Dont know what the commercial regs are but I believe as result of the PCB's and mercury inherent in the striped bass population many states recommend having no more than two 6oz(?) servings a year....seems strange that striper would be on the menu given its unfortunate toxicity.

MikeMc, on 05 Jul 2016 - 1:56 PM, said:

I'll get a pic when I get homoe.

There's a very large Asian market on Rt 18 in East Brunswick NJ with a huge tank full of hybrid stripers. Another filled with huge ugly catfish and another with carp.

The meat dept would scare Hannibal Lecter

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Ā 

Social Distancing since 1962

Ā 

There's a very large Asian market on Rt 18 in East Brunswick NJ with a huge tank full of hybrid stripers. Another filled with huge ugly catfish and another with carp.

The meat dept would scare Hannibal Lecter

Ā 

That one's practically behind my house! The price on those live hybrids is ridiculous. Although it is my go to place for mackerel for summer sharking ;)

Ā 

And to the OP as not to derail, VA has a limited commercial fishery for SB. I don't think it's against any regs if the restaurant brought them in from VA.

That one's practically behind my house! The price on those live hybrids is ridiculous. Although it is my go to place for mackerel for summer sharking ;)

Ā 

And to the OP as not to derail, VA has a limited commercial fishery for SB. I don't think it's against any regs if the restaurant brought them in from VA.

Ā 

So they're catching now? I'm curious if they bought hybrids from a farm and then claim it's a wild striped bass.

See you on the big one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptjackĀ View Post

plainview long island 6.00 lb chesapeak tags I believe the nys recimmendations is eat once a month west of rocky point and one a week east of rp

Ā 

That's strange considering its a migratory fish!

MikeMc, on 05 Jul 2016 - 1:56 PM, said:

I'll get a pic when I get homoe.

Yeah, Virginia harvests them commercially, can keep them at 18" in the Chesapeake. That's where they hang out for the winter, so they're there now. Smaller fish are also migrating out of the bay now, larger fish usually leave after spawning in June. Some larger fish, though, hang for the winter out in the Atlantic and can be caught now. I know that some local restaurants here in CT buy stripers from local "recreational" fishermen, even though commercial harvest here is illegal.

That's strange considering its a migratory fish!

Ā 

I think the DEC's reasoning here is that fish caught west of Rocky Point are most likely Hudson River stock and fish east of Rocky Point have a better chance of being Chesapeake stock. I don't buy into this but I think that's their logic.