Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rroop89

Kayaking

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Im 15 miles south of wilmington. Mostly ponds/rivers.

Looking to get out on the indian river bay and the ocean this year. I know the bay pretty well, but never ventured out there in a yak.

rroop89 don't forget to try the area around woodland beach and the backwaters in May/June ;) Can be quite good from a Yak.

Or the Susky Flats in April ........ think locally the flats in late April is the place you will see the biggest concentration of local kayak fishermen. Checkout the SOL Kayak forum. I know its moderator puts on a kayak fishing event there every spring.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rroop89 View Post

Im 15 miles south of wilmington. Mostly ponds/rivers.

Looking to get out on the indian river bay and the ocean this year. I know the bay pretty well, but never ventured out there in a yak.

the indian river inlet is a great place to launch a kayak. i had a kayak that is too full of holes right now due to squirrels sharpening their teeth on it.but there are lots of guys who fish in there, and if your brave enough to get out of the inlet, due to the waves and all, there is plenty of guys who are out there, too

To be honest I don't think I have ever seen anyone kayak fishing the actual inlet I am going to venture to say that is pretty dangerous and difficult. I can see maybe kayak fishing back by bubblegum beach were the current isn't overpowering . I drift Massey's Ditch from time to time for flounder and backwater is good for kayak fishing. I intend to make a kayak trip to the sea wall at Cape Henlopen in the near future for some tog and sheepshead.

I don't think I would recommend the inlet...... it's rough in a good size boat.

I was thinking the same thing.

If you have to ask, you probably shouldn't go to the inlet by the bridge.

Away from the inlet would be safer.

I'm guessing this is a good place to put this. Trying to get into kayak fishing but I have a limited budget. Can anyone recommend a kayak for around $500. It's probably going to be used mostly in the upper chesapeake and ocean city.

I would absolutely not kayak anywhere near the inlet just because of the boat traffic not to mention the currents and rips that set up in there.

Cortolillo..what type of fish will you be doing? Start there.