Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hunt for blueessss

2013 Boca at Battle price. good deal?

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Picked up a new Boca instead of Cabo today for the cost of a battle. Excited to get some line on it and fish it like mad! Went with the 50 as it matches my 8' perfect and I like a slight heavier reel on my 7'. Definitely feels great tho and should fish well. The drag is insane at 30 pounds. This will be my giant bluefin tuna reel. Maybe I'll get the 80 for white perch. Anybody else have one? Alan, I know you're doing the Cabo, but please hurry it up :-)

Not to bum you out but you can get a Boca 50 for $90, $10 less than a Penn Battel 4000, at Kittery Trading Post right now.  I saw them at the big sale they had this weekend.  The much lighter 40 size is only $80 and will still get you free shipping and no sales tax if you live outside of Maine.

I was talking to guide/rep working at their sale last weekend and he said he uses the Boca when taking people for stripers and reports they have stood up very well to extensive abuse.

Not to bum you out but you can get a Boca 50 for $90, $10 less than a Penn Battel 4000, at Kittery Trading Post right now.  I saw them at the big sale they had this weekend.  The much lighter 40 size is only $80 and will still get you free shipping and no sales tax if you live outside of Maine.

I was talking to guide/rep working at their sale last weekend and he said he uses the Boca when taking people for stripers and reports they have stood up very well to extensive abuse.

There web site says the 50 it's selling for $149.99 the sale is over!

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunt for blueessss View Post

Well at $108, I feel like it can't possibly let me down smile.gif Plus I got to bring it home and play with it today!

And I wish I did find it at $80 smile.gif

I think you got the new model... the Boca 50PTSD.  That's a good price for the new model.  I think its 149 retail.  I was wondering how that sealed anti-reverse would work in the surf.

not to bum you but I recently bought a 2012 Cabo 60 and 45 (or was it 40 ?) for 89.95 apiece. the only reason I bring it up is so people would know to look around if they are interested. it was from a internet tackle store......I do support my local guy also. he deserves it

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark d View Post

not to bum you but I recently bought a 2012 Cabo 60 and 45 (or was it 40 ?) for 89.95 apiece. the only reason I bring it up is so people would know to look around if they are interested. it was from a internet tackle store......I do support my local guy also. he deserves it

woops, disregard my post...sorry I thought you were talking about a 2012 model. the picture just downloaded.( I have very slow internet). no idea what is a good price for a 2013 but it sure is pretty. hope you knock em dead with it.

woops, disregard my post...sorry I thought you were talking about a 2012 model. the picture just downloaded.( I have very slow internet). no idea what is a good price for a 2013 but it sure is pretty. hope you knock em dead with it.

No worries :) I knew you meant the 2012 version when you posted, that's why I put the pic up. I think I may grab another one while I can get a good deal on them. I already have too many reels :( but I guess you can never really have too many!

Whoops, me too, I overlooked the 2013 tag at the beginning.  The ones I mentioned are the older/discontinued version.

I bet your new reel turns out to be a much longer lasting reel than the Battle.  After handling both and considering the pedigree of each, unless Quantum screwed things up, I'm guessing the new Boca likely will be tougher and more durable.

That's a good looking reel. I'm mostly a Penn guy but I like the looks of this. Is there anything specil abotu this reel that makes them popular? I hear a lot of people talk about Quantum reels.

That' s a great deal! I' ve been eyeing one of those babbies for a while to slap on a 9' mojo but can't decied between the boca, cabo, or smoke.

SaltGuard 2.0 multilayer saltwater coatings

SCR Alloy in the aluminum frames and components

Sealed drag and sealed magnum clutch

Seven PT bearings

LMS line-management system

The workhorse of Quantum’s PT series of spinning reels takes saltwater corrosion resistance to a higher level. SaltGuard 2.0™ multilayer saltwater coatings include an exclusive SCR™ alloy in the aluminum frames and components that is formulated to remove impurities from the alloy that create corrosion. The sealed drag and sealed magnum clutch ensure reliable performance in the salt. Seven PT™ bearings deliver smooth retrieves. LMS™ line-management system with ball-bearing line roller for even line lay. TiMag® titanium failproof bail system with magnetic trip.